Discrete Energy Levels: Questions & Answers

In summary, the transition of electrons to higher energy levels is instantaneous if we only consider a discrete set of states, but may take some time if we allow for a continuous set of states. The energy levels correspond to definite energy states and do not necessarily relate to the position or momentum of the electron.
BOAS
Hello,

I have a question regarding discrete energy levels of atoms.

If electrons must inhabit certain energy levels, when they are excited up to a higher energy level, do they instantaneously jump to that level, or do they exist for some short time 'in between'?

Furthermore, if the wavefunction of an electron extends over space (infinitely far?), does it really mean that there is the highest probability that the electron inhabits the energy level, or does an energy level correspond to a large 'space'?

We've been looking at the bohr model which would suggest that these energy levels must exist on equipotential lines, but I remember from A-level chemistry the shape of different orbitals and clearly something else is going on here...

I know that's a bit of a loose question, but i'd enjoy a wide ranging answer :)

Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
BOAS said:
Hello,

I have a question regarding discrete energy levels of atoms.

If electrons must inhabit certain energy levels, when they are excited up to a higher energy level, do they instantaneously jump to that level, or do they exist for some short time 'in between'?

There is no "in between". Our current understanding is that this transition is instantaneous.

Note that these electrons are no longer classical particles, and these are energy states.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
There is no "in between". Our current understanding is that this transition is instantaneous.

Note that these electrons are no longer classical particles, and these are energy states.

Zz.

The way you wrote that made me realize something, I think.

The picture I had in my head was the electron having to go from a to b, i.e travel some distance to correspond to it's new energy level. But if it's gain in energy is dictated by the energy of a photon, which is itself a discrete packet of energy, the moment that absorption takes place, the electrons energy has jumped to the new level.

BOAS said:
The way you wrote that made me realize something, I think.

The picture I had in my head was the electron having to go from a to b, i.e travel some distance to correspond to it's new energy level. But if it's gain in energy is dictated by the energy of a photon, which is itself a discrete packet of energy, the moment that absorption takes place, the electrons energy has jumped to the new level.

Just so you know, the transition to higher energy states can due NOT to just photon absorption. In a fluorescent light, the gasses are bombarded by electrons that have been accelerated in the gas tube. Atoms can be excited via many mechanism, not just photon absorption. Collisions with other particles are quite common!

Zz.

If you allow only a discrete set of states, the transition has to be instantaneous, because there is no state in between that could be occupied in the mean time. If by state you mean one of discretely indexed states of definite energy, you are making a preference for states associated with definite energy and not other physical quantities, say position or momentum.

If you allow continuous set of states, the transition may take some time. If by state you mean ##\psi## function figuring in the Schroedinger equations, there is a continuous set of states and no physical quantity is preferred. If you assume ##\psi## changes according to the time-dependent Schroedinger equation, it changes continuously and transition from one Hamiltonian eigenfunction to another, if it happens at all, takes some time.

Related to Discrete Energy Levels: Questions & Answers

1. What are discrete energy levels?

Discrete energy levels refer to specific, quantized energy states that an atom or molecule can have. This means that the energy of the system can only take on certain values, rather than being continuous.

2. How are discrete energy levels determined?

The discrete energy levels of an atom or molecule are determined by its electronic structure, specifically the arrangement of electrons in orbitals around the nucleus. Each electron orbital has a specific energy level associated with it.

3. What is the significance of discrete energy levels?

The discrete energy levels of atoms and molecules play a crucial role in determining their chemical and physical properties. They determine the behavior of electrons, which in turn influences bonding, reactivity, and other properties.

4. Can discrete energy levels change?

Yes, discrete energy levels can change through the absorption or emission of energy. When an atom or molecule absorbs energy, an electron can jump to a higher energy level. Conversely, when an electron jumps to a lower energy level, energy is emitted.

5. How do discrete energy levels relate to energy transitions?

Discrete energy levels are directly related to energy transitions. When an electron transitions between energy levels, it must gain or lose a specific amount of energy corresponding to the difference between the two levels. This results in the emission or absorption of a specific wavelength of light, which can be used to identify elements or molecules.