Discovery shakes up QM (or not....)

They have not demonstrated that.So, it is not a "paradigm shift", as the pop-science article would like you to believe, but it does reinforce the "realism" aspect of Bohmian interpretation. That, however, is not new. This has been discussed for decades.In summary, a recent experiment has demonstrated that Bohmian particle trajectories correspond to something real for entangled particles. However, this does not provide evidence for the correctness of the Bohmian interpretation and does not warrant a "paradigm shift" in quantum mechanics. The experiment reinforces the "realism" aspect of Bohmian interpretation, but this has been discussed for decades.
Physics news on Phys.org
entropy1 said:

I'm more curious on why you think this ".. may mean a paradigm shift in QM..."? Why is this surprising after previous experiments using the same weak-measurement technique that have produced similar conclusion? See S. Kocsis et al., Science v.332, p.1170 (2011). We may even have several threads on this topic already on here.

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
I'm more curious on why you think this ".. may mean a paradigm shift in QM..."? Why is this surprising after previous experiments using the same weak-measurement technique that have produced similar results? See S. Kocsis et al., Science v.332, p.1170 (2011).

Zz.
I only understand the second link, not the paper. The second link speaks of simplification of QM and nonlocal realism confirmed, as I understand.

entropy1 said:
I only understand the second link, not the paper. The second link speaks of simplification of QM and nonlocal realism confirmed, as I understand.

The "second link" was written by whom? Is it a reliable source? Has it reported it without overblowing and dramatizing the impact to make it sexier, like most news reports are apt to do?

Zz.

Likes Demystifier
ZapperZ said:
Has it reported it without overblowing and dramatizing the impact to make it sexier, like most news reports are apt to do?

Zz.
Probably not.

ZapperZ said:
Why is this surprising after previous experiments using the same weak-measurement technique that have produced similar conclusion?
I found several earlier similar news items indeed. But what is the 'significance' of this? Does it have none?

Your first link is to the paper. They do an experiment and talk about pilot-wave and how the two relate and how it demonstrates the resolution to what was an apparent paradox:

Englert, Scully, Süssmann, and Walther (ESSW) (12) asserted that in the presence of such a Welcher Weg measurement (WWM) device, the particle’s Bohmian trajectories can display seemingly contradictory behavior: There are instances when the particle’s Bohmian trajectory goes through one slit, and yet the WWM result indicates that it had gone through the other slit. ESSW concluded that these trajectories predicted by Bohmian mechanics could not correspond to reality and they dubbed them “surreal trajectories.” This serious assertion was discussed at length in the literature (1317), after which a resolution of this seeming inconsistency was proposed by Hiley et al. (18). Here, we present an experimental validation of this resolution

They're clearly fans of pilot-wave, but they're appropriately careful to note that all other interpretations of QM give the same predictions:

As with any interpretation of quantum mechanics, the experimental predictions of Bohmian mechanics are the same as those in the operational theory.

So the paper is fine.

Your second link is a pop-science article. It's a waste of time. There's a sprinkling of facts, but it's laced with unjustified high-level assertions like:

new evidence suggests that the current standard view of how particles behave on the quantum scale could be very, very wrong

Which is just straight up wrong about the content of the paper.

Strilanc said:
They're clearly fans of pilot-wave, but they're appropriately careful to note that all other interpretations of QM give the same predictions
I wonder what the experiment has demonstrated then...

entropy1 said:
I wonder what the experiment has demonstrated then...
It has demonstrated that, for entangled particles, Bohmian particle trajectories correspond to something real. But it does not provide evidence that Bohmian interpretation is correct. They have measured only "average" trajectories of a large ensemble of particles, while Bohmian interpretation claims much more, that even individual particles have those trajectories.

Likes vanhees71 and entropy1

Related to Discovery shakes up QM (or not....)

1. What is the discovery that is shaking up quantum mechanics?

The discovery is called the "Delayed-Choice Quantum Eraser" experiment, which challenges the traditional understanding of quantum mechanics and the concept of causality.

2. How does the experiment challenge our understanding of quantum mechanics?

The experiment showed that the behavior of a particle can be influenced by a measurement made in the future, which goes against the principle that cause and effect should always follow a specific order.

3. Does this mean that our understanding of quantum mechanics is wrong?

No, it does not necessarily mean that our understanding of quantum mechanics is wrong. The experiment challenges our current understanding and opens up new possibilities for further research and exploration.

4. What are the implications of this discovery?

The discovery could potentially lead to a better understanding of quantum mechanics and the nature of reality. It could also have practical applications in fields such as quantum computing and communication.

5. Is there any controversy surrounding this discovery?

Yes, there is some controversy surrounding the interpretation of the results of the experiment and how it fits into our current understanding of quantum mechanics. Some scientists argue that the results do not necessarily challenge traditional understanding, while others see it as a major breakthrough.