Discovery of the Omega-minus (Documentary)

In summary, there is a documentary on the BBC iPlayer from July 1964 on the discovery of the ##\Omega^-##. It includes interviews with Gell-Mann, Ne'man, Feyman and Samios (from Brookhaven) and is available for over a year. It is only available on the BBC online archive and requires a TV licence. However, it can also be found on Daily Motion.
PeroK
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
2023 Award
TL;DR Summary
Documentary on the BBC iPlayer.
There is a documentary on the BBC iPlayer from July 1964 on the discovery of the ##\Omega^-##. It includes interviews with Gell-Mann, Ne'man, Feyman and Samios (from Brookhaven). It's available for over a year. If you have access to the BBC iPlayer it's definitely worth watching. Wonderful!

Likes George Jones and nrqed
Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
Thanks for sharing @PeroK

Is it available on any other platforms and does it have a title and episode number?

I found this description

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p01zhsqn
That's it. It's on the BBC online archive at the moment. What happens if you follow the link? Does it tell you you need a TV licence?

I found it somewhere, Just Google it. If I can find the link again I'll share it.

Likes jedishrfu
It's not available out of GB :-((. I'd love to watch BBC science features, which are way better than almost anything they produce in the German TV, which I only know that some BBC features are also shown in German TV (of course synchronized in German).

Likes PeroK
vanhees71 said:
It's not available out of GB

Your computer needs to be off-shell, i.e., it need to take a virtual trip to GB.

PeroK said:
Does it tell you you need a TV licence?

This part is easy; answer "yes".

Likes vanhees71
Great!

Related to Discovery of the Omega-minus (Documentary)

1. What is the Omega-minus particle?

The Omega-minus particle is a type of baryon, which is a subatomic particle made up of three quarks. It is the heaviest of all known baryons and has a mass approximately 3 times that of a proton.

2. When was the Omega-minus particle discovered?

The Omega-minus particle was first discovered in 1964 by a team of scientists led by Murray Gell-Mann at the California Institute of Technology.

3. How was the Omega-minus particle discovered?

The Omega-minus particle was discovered by observing the decay of a high-energy proton beam in a particle accelerator. The decay products were then analyzed to identify the presence of the Omega-minus particle.

4. What is the significance of the discovery of the Omega-minus particle?

The discovery of the Omega-minus particle helped to confirm the validity of the quark model, which states that all particles are made up of smaller subatomic particles called quarks. It also provided further evidence for the existence of the strong nuclear force, which holds the quarks together within the Omega-minus particle.

5. How has the discovery of the Omega-minus particle impacted the field of particle physics?

The discovery of the Omega-minus particle has greatly advanced our understanding of the fundamental building blocks of matter and the forces that govern them. It has also led to further research and discoveries in the field of particle physics, helping us to better understand the structure of the universe.