How to convert wood burning to electric?

In summary, the conversation is about converting a cast iron wood burning stove to electric. Some suggest selling the antique stove and buying an electric one instead, while others suggest modifying the wood stove by gutting an old electric stove and installing it inside. It is also mentioned that gas could be an option, but requires a qualified person to do so. The conversation also delves into potential design ideas, but it is dependent on the model of the stove.
jgravatt
This may be a long shot, but here goes...

Does anyone know of a way to convert a cast iron wood burning stove to electric. It seems possible since you can replace elements and burners on normal stoves. Any thoughts or information would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Jeremy

Physics news on Phys.org
The best way to effect a conversion like this is to sell the cast iron one through an antique dealer and use the money to buy an electric.

Why on Earth would you want to do such a horrible thing to a wonderful antique?

Or, if you must, at least switch to gas instead of switching to electric.

Zoobyshoe said -
"The best way to effect a conversion like this is to sell the cast iron one through an antique dealer and use the money to buy an electric. Why on Earth would you want to do such a horrible thing to a wonderful antique?"

Well, we have several of the stoves. And yes, they are wonderful antiques. MY mother in law is having a country type old time house being built. She loves antiques and would love to put one of her stoves in there to use. She does not want to use a wood burning stove, and the commercial gas/electric stoves that are modeled after antiques are quite expensive. So, the next best thing would be to convert a stove she already has to gas or electric. Normally, we both would agree with you that messing up a beautiful antique like that is horrible; however, given our situation what anyone things may be horrible about it - it completely and totally irrelevant.

Regards,
Jeremy

You should be able to buy a counter top stove then have a hole cut to fit in the top of the wood stove. My mom used to have a counter top range that had the controls in the hood, this would be ideal for you.
Perhaps you could find an independent oven for mounting else where.

Getting the hole cut into the top will require a welding shop. I think cleaning the old fire chamber will be quite a task but once done you may have a very nice arrangement.

Thanks, that's a great idea.

Jeremy

I think it would be possible to modify your woodstove fairly easily by gutting an old electrice stove and instaling it inside the old woodstove. I don't think it's neccesary to cut the top and weld an countertop unit into it. I think it would be hard to do ut that way and preserve the integrity of the stove. In other words ...it seems to me that it would be tacky/ugly. Sorry, just my opinion. It seems to me that you could weld supports under the rim on the stove top and set the tray and heating element within that, running the electrical wiring out the back. I personally prefer to cook on gas but..if you're going to try this with gas you'd better use someone who's qualified to do so as it would be far more dangerous then modifying with electric. Changing the oven over to electric or gas could be easy...or difficult..a lot depends on the model of stove. What model are you dealing with? is it possible to create some sort of hinged front using the decorative edging and place your knobs under that?
Again, do you have a photo or a model description? there is such a great variance between different stove models.

1. How does wood burning differ from electric heating?

Wood burning involves burning wood in a fireplace or stove to generate heat, which can be used for heating a room or cooking. Electric heating, on the other hand, uses electricity to produce heat through an electric heating element.

2. What are the benefits of converting from wood burning to electric heating?

There are several benefits to converting from wood burning to electric heating. Electric heating is cleaner, more efficient, and easier to control. It also eliminates the need for purchasing, storing, and chopping wood, and reduces the risk of carbon monoxide poisoning.

3. What are the steps involved in converting from wood burning to electric heating?

The first step is to disconnect and remove the wood burning stove or fireplace. Next, the chimney or flue will need to be sealed or blocked off. Then, an electric heating system will need to be installed, which may involve hiring a professional. Finally, the new electric heating system will need to be connected to a power source.

4. Are there any potential challenges or drawbacks to converting from wood burning to electric heating?

One potential challenge is the upfront cost of installing an electric heating system. Additionally, if the home is not already equipped with an electric heating system, the conversion may require significant renovations. Some may also miss the ambiance and smell of a wood burning fire.

5. How can I ensure that my electric heating system is energy efficient?

To ensure energy efficiency, it is important to choose an electric heating system with a high energy rating. It is also important to properly insulate the home and seal any air leaks. Regular maintenance and cleaning of the heating system can also help improve its efficiency.