Discovering thickness of a thin film.

In summary, the conversation is about finding an alternative method for measuring the thickness of thin films of zinc oxide. The traditional method of using SEM cross section is time-consuming and weighing the substrates before and after coating is imprecise. The suggestion of using ellipsometry has been tried but the high variance in films makes it difficult to determine the correct thickness. X-ray diffraction is proposed as another option, but the person asking for help is unsure if it is appropriate and is seeking a fundamental formula for measuring film thickness. The films range from 10nm to 400nm and they are looking for a method with 10nm resolution.
darker4308
Hi guys, long time reader new poster.

I am looking for ways to determine the thickness of some thin films of zinc oxide I have been producing. Conventionally I use SEM cross section, but the throughput of films has made this a little taxing. I've tried also weighing the substrates before and after coating and that seems a little imprecise. We do not have a film growth monitor.

Does anyone have any other idea for measuring film thickness.

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on the thickness.

If it is very thin and semi-transparent (at least to visible light), then you can you ellipsometry.

Zz.

We tried that, but the variance in the films is so high that we can't decide what harmonic is correct for the thickness value without doing an SEM which defeats the purpose.

We use x-ray diffraction to measure the thickness of layers on the nano-scale. I'm not sure if that would be appropriate in your case.

I am curious I've taken material science at a graduate level, but we all we ever used XRD for was identification and grain size. Is there a fundamental formula that you can point me towards so I can measure film thickness, and also what do this depend on ?

My films range from about 10nm to 400 nm or so, and we would really like a method to be able to get close to 10nm resolution.

Related to Discovering thickness of a thin film.

1. How do you measure the thickness of a thin film?

The most common method for measuring the thickness of a thin film is by using a technique called ellipsometry. This involves shining a beam of polarized light onto the film and measuring the change in polarization as it passes through the film. This change can then be used to calculate the thickness of the film.

2. Can the thickness of a thin film be measured by eye?

No, the thickness of a thin film is typically too small to be accurately measured by eye. Specialized equipment and techniques are needed to accurately measure the thickness of a thin film.

3. Are there any other methods for measuring the thickness of a thin film?

Yes, there are other methods such as interferometry, which involves measuring the interference patterns created by a light beam passing through the film. Another method is stylus profilometry, which uses a sharp probe to physically measure the height differences on the surface of the film.

4. How precise are the measurements of thin film thickness?

The precision of the measurements depends on the method used and the quality of the equipment. Generally, ellipsometry can provide thickness measurements with a precision of a few nanometers, while interferometry and stylus profilometry can provide measurements with sub-nanometer precision.

5. Is the thickness of a thin film uniform across its surface?

Not necessarily. Thin films can have variations in thickness due to factors such as the deposition process and the properties of the substrate. This is why it is important to take multiple measurements at different points on the film to get an accurate average thickness.