Discovering the Sun's Mass: Calculating Without AU Distance | Wikipedia Method

In summary, the conversation discusses methods for determining the distance between the Earth and the Sun. The participants mention using the gravitational law, which requires knowing the mass of the Sun. They also mention that there are other ways to calculate the Sun's mass without using the astronomical unit (AU). The conversation also touches on the topic of studying physics and astronomy in university and high school, as well as the given materials for the homework assignment.
bionioncle
1/ when serching for mesurement Earth-Sun distance, I got this
in the sechon answer, to use this method, we need mass of the Sun but when I searched for Sun' mass http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_mass

2/
7403b4d7237f7a67f2f51b6d0405c636.png

r=GMT^2/(4(πr)^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

there are the other ways to caculate Sun mass without using AU

Physics news on Phys.org
What is your question exactly?

The other ways used to caculate the mass of the sun do not use AU.
My homework is how to determine to distance to Sun from Earth, using gavitionval law is one of those ways to measure it. However, using gravitational law requires Sun's Mass and I don't know how to caculate the mass of the Sun without using AU.

What is the course you are studying? What have you studied so far?

Now I'm first year in university so we learn physics as compulsory subject though the main subject is engineering. It was only two month but in hight school, I learned Newton's gravitational law but with some contant like mass of the sun and astronomical unit we weren't taught how to determine/caculate it although we knew its value.

Last edited:
What had you you been studying when you get the homework assigned to you?

That is a lot of material. I am not really sure what you are supposed to use as a given.

On the very first pages you are given the ratio of solar to lunar distance from the Earth. You could use that one. Then you will need to find the lunar distance. It could be derived from the gravity exerted on the Moon by the Earth.

Related to Discovering the Sun's Mass: Calculating Without AU Distance | Wikipedia Method

1. What is the mass of the Sun?

The mass of the Sun is approximately 2 x 10^30 kilograms, which is equivalent to 333,000 Earths.

2. How do scientists determine the mass of the Sun?

Scientists use a combination of observational and mathematical techniques to determine the mass of the Sun. One method is to measure the gravitational pull of the Sun on other objects, such as planets, and use that to calculate its mass.

3. Has the mass of the Sun changed over time?

The mass of the Sun has been relatively constant over the past several billion years. However, it is estimated that the Sun loses around 4 million tons of mass every second through the process of nuclear fusion.

4. How does the mass of the Sun compare to other stars?

The Sun is considered a medium-sized star, as it falls in the middle range of masses for stars in our galaxy. Some stars can be much larger or smaller than the Sun, with the most massive stars being over 100 times more massive.

5. Can the mass of the Sun change in the future?

Based on current understanding, the mass of the Sun will remain relatively constant for the foreseeable future. However, as the Sun ages and runs out of hydrogen fuel, its mass will decrease slightly as it undergoes various stages of stellar evolution.