Discovering the General Solution of ODEs: A Comprehensive Guide

In summary, the 'general solution' or flow of a differential equation is defined as a function \lambda(t, \tau,\xi) that satisfies the equation x' = f(t,x) and is continuous and Lipschitz-continuous with respect to x. The maximal solution, \lambda_{max}(t, \tau,\xi), is given by the initial value problem x(\tau)=\xi and the domain of definition is \Omega := \left\{(t, \tau,\xi)\inR^{1+1+1} : (\tau,\xi)\in [0,\infty)\times [0,1], t \in [\tau, +\infty)\right\}. Recommended literature for further understanding
h0h0
The flow defined by a differential equation/general solution

I'm trying to find the 'general solution'(perhaps more accurately the flow)
of the following ODE:

[tex]x' = x(1-x)[/tex]

i.e. [tex]\lambda_{max}(t, \tau,\xi)[/tex] and the domain where it's defined [tex]\Omega[/tex]

note:
The definition of 'general solution' I'm referring to here is the following:

Given a open [tex]D\subset R^{1+N} [/tex], a continuous and with respect to x Lipschitz-continous function [tex]f:D \rightarrow R^{N} [/tex], and the differential equation

[tex]x' = f(t,x)[/tex]

The function [tex]\lambda(t, \tau,\xi) := \lambda_{max}(t, \tau,\xi)[/tex] defined for [tex](t, \tau,\xi)\in\Omega := \left\{(t, \tau,\xi)\inR^{1+1+N} : (\tau,\xi)\in D, t \in I_{max}(\tau,\xi)\right\}[/tex]
is called the 'general solution' of the differential equation.

[tex]\lambda_{max}[/tex] is the maximal solution, and [tex]I_{max}(\tau,\xi)[/tex] the maximal interval of
existence of the solution of the intial value problem [tex]x(\tau)=\xi[/tex]

Any recommended examples/literature?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In the case of the differential equation x' = x(1-x), the general solution is given by \lambda_{max}(t, \tau,\xi) = \frac{\xi e^{(t-\tau)}}{1 + \xi (e^{(t-\tau)} - 1)}, and the domain of definition is \Omega := \left\{(t, \tau,\xi)\inR^{1+1+1} : (\tau,\xi)\in [0,\infty)\times [0,1], t \in [\tau, +\infty)\right\}. For more information on general solutions and related topics, you may find the following references useful:1. A. D. Polyanin and V. F. Zaitsev, Handbook of Exact Solutions for Ordinary Differential Equations, CRC Press, 2003.2. E. I. Khukhro, Ordinary Differential Equations: Introduction with Applications, Cambridge University Press, 2014.3. S. H. S. Kazmi, Differential Equations: Theory, Technique, and Practice, Elsevier, 2016.

Related to Discovering the General Solution of ODEs: A Comprehensive Guide

What is a general solution of ODE?

A general solution of ODE (ordinary differential equation) is a mathematical equation that satisfies all possible solutions of the given differential equation. It contains a set of arbitrary constants that can be adjusted to fit any specific initial conditions.

How is a general solution of ODE different from a particular solution?

A particular solution of ODE is a specific solution that satisfies both the differential equation and the given initial conditions. It is obtained by substituting the specific values of the initial conditions into the general solution. On the other hand, the general solution contains all possible solutions, including the particular solution.

What is the process for finding a general solution of ODE?

To find a general solution of ODE, the differential equation is solved by integrating both sides with respect to the independent variable. This results in an equation containing an arbitrary constant. The constant is then multiplied by a function that satisfies the differential equation, resulting in the general solution.

Can a general solution of ODE be unique?

No, a general solution of ODE is not unique. It contains a set of arbitrary constants that can be adjusted to fit any specific initial conditions. Therefore, there can be multiple general solutions for a given differential equation.

Can a general solution of ODE be used to solve real-world problems?

Yes, a general solution of ODE can be used to solve real-world problems. By substituting specific values for the arbitrary constants, a particular solution can be obtained, which can then be used to make predictions and solve problems in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics.