Discovering Constant Speed in Bosun's Chair Problem: Mechanics and Techniques

In summary, the conversation is discussing a typical bosun's chair problem involving a suspended platform and a person. The question is how to determine the constant speed of the chair and if it is possible to change the speed without increasing the pull force. The solution involves briefly increasing or decreasing the force to change the speed, then returning to the original force to maintain the new speed.
Syrus

Homework Statement

In a typical bosun's chair problem (in which an individual is on a platform suspended in the air by a massless, frictionless rope- about a pulley- holding the opposite end of the rope) one asks what pulling force is required to set the bosun chair (and person) into movement at a constant speed. I understand the mechanics behind the problem. My question is: how do you determine this constant speed? What- if anything- can you do to change the speed from, say, 0 m/s (which it intuitvely seems it would be) to 10 m/s without increasing the pull force (since this would cause the chair and individual to accelerate)?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
If you change speed - you are accelerating.
How is force related to acceleration?

I think you're misunderstanding me. I am asking: how is it possible (if at all) to rise at DIFFERENT constant speeds? I.e. is it a possible scenario to rise in a bosun's chair at, say, 5 m/s or 22 m/s? If so, what is different (mechanically) in bringing about these differences in speed?

EDIT* Ah, I understand your point now Simon- acceleration results since you would change velocity from zero to any positive quantity. After achieving your desired velocity (via accelerating), you could then return to applying the force which maintains that velocity.

To maintain a velocity, you need a net force of zero. Otherwise you have it.

Hi Syrus! :smile:
Syrus said:
… how do you determine this constant speed? What- if anything- can you do to change the speed from, say, 0 m/s (which it intuitvely seems it would be) to 10 m/s without increasing the pull force (since this would cause the chair and individual to accelerate)?

To change the speed, you increase or decrease the force for a short time, then go back to the "cruising" force. :wink:

Related to Discovering Constant Speed in Bosun's Chair Problem: Mechanics and Techniques

What is constant speed?

Constant speed is when an object maintains a consistent velocity over time without any changes in direction or acceleration.

How is constant speed calculated?

Constant speed is calculated by dividing the distance traveled by the time it takes to travel that distance. The formula for calculating constant speed is: speed = distance/time.

What is the difference between constant speed and average speed?

Constant speed refers to the exact speed an object is traveling at a specific moment, while average speed is the total distance traveled divided by the total time it took to travel that distance. Average speed takes into account changes in speed, while constant speed does not.

Can an object have constant speed and changing velocity?

No, an object can only have constant speed if its velocity remains the same. Velocity includes both speed and direction, so if either of these factors change, the object's velocity is also changing.

What are some real-life examples of constant speed?

Some examples of constant speed in real life include a car driving on a highway with cruise control, a runner maintaining a steady pace during a race, and a satellite orbiting the Earth at a consistent speed.