Discovering a Formula for the Difference of Squares in the Fibonacci Sequence

• MHB
  • Thread starter 06Rousher
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sequence
In summary, the problem is to find a formula for the difference of the squares of two Fibonacci numbers, (F n+1)^2-(F n-1)^2. By experimenting with numerous examples, we can see that the pattern for this sequence is F_{2n}. This can be proven using the induction method, but as the individual in the conversation has not learned it yet, they are unable to proceed with the proof. Any help from someone knowledgeable about induction would be appreciated.
06Rousher
Problem is: "By experimenting with numerous examples in search of a pattern, determine a simple formula for (F n+1)^2-(F n-1)^2; That is, a formula for the difference of the squares of two Fibonacci numbers."

The n+1 and n-1 should be smaller by the F but I don't know how to do that on a computer

Any help is appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
We are asked to find a formula for:

\(\displaystyle A_{n}=F_{n+1}^2-F_{n-1}^2\)

So, as suggested, let's see if a pattern develops:

\(\displaystyle A_1=F_2^2-F_0^2=1^2-0^2=1=F_2\)

\(\displaystyle A_2=F_3^2-F_1^2=2^2-1^2=3=F_4\)

\(\displaystyle A_3=F_4^2-F_2^2=3^2-1^2=8=F_6\)

\(\displaystyle A_4=F_5^2-F_3^2=5^2-2^2=21=F_8\)

At this point, we could state the induction hypothesis $P_n$:

\(\displaystyle F_{n+1}^2-F_{n-1}^2=F_{2n}\)

Can you proceed?

Proceed with continuing the pattern?

Im not understanding the hypothesis of F 2n aswell

06Rousher said:
Proceed with continuing the pattern?

Im not understanding the hypothesis of F 2n aswell

I mean can you continue the proof by induction. The hypothesis is what we notice appears to be the pattern that arises when computing the first several terms of the sequence we are asked to explore. Have you been using induction in your course?

No i have no clue on induction

Im helping a friend with his work and trying to understand it myself cause I know it will be in my future. So I haven't had guidelines or someone to teach me, just been trying to do this on my own

Related to Discovering a Formula for the Difference of Squares in the Fibonacci Sequence

1. What is the Fibonacci sequence?

The Fibonacci sequence is a series of numbers where each number is the sum of the two preceding ones, starting from 0 and 1. The sequence goes like this: 0, 1, 1, 2, 3, 5, 8, 13, 21, 34, ... and so on.

2. Who discovered the Fibonacci sequence?

The Fibonacci sequence was named after Leonardo Fibonacci, an Italian mathematician who introduced it to the Western world in his book Liber Abaci in 1202.

3. What is the significance of the Fibonacci sequence?

The Fibonacci sequence appears in many natural phenomena, such as the arrangement of leaves on a stem, the branching of trees, and the spirals of a nautilus shell. It also has many applications in mathematics, computer science, and other fields.

4. How can the Fibonacci sequence be used to solve problems?

The Fibonacci sequence can be used to solve a variety of problems, such as finding the optimal solution to certain algorithms, predicting population growth, and calculating interest rates. It can also be used to analyze patterns in nature and design more efficient structures.

5. Is there a formula for finding the nth term in the Fibonacci sequence?

Yes, there is a formula called Binet's formula that can calculate the nth term in the Fibonacci sequence. It is Fn = (φ^n - (1-φ)^n)/√5, where φ is the golden ratio, approximately equal to 1.618.