Discover the Versatility of Physics Forums TeX Editor - Try It Now!

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of TeX Editor and its rendering capabilities. The possibility of using it externally is questioned, but it is believed that the rendering occurs on the server and it may not be suitable for external use. The option of copying the rendered image and pasting it into another program or website is mentioned, but the legality of this should be checked. It is suggested to visit the vBulletin site or use open source blog and forum programs for latex rendering. Other options for generating equations or laying out documents in LaTeX are also mentioned.
Herbststurm
Hi,

is it possible to use the TeX Editor external? A link which leads to the TeX Editor?

Thanks

greetings

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not affiliated with the forum itself, just a member, but I'm pretty sure the latex rendering occurs on the server. Even if it were possible I don't think they would like you using up their processor(s) rendering latex for some external purpose. You can copy the image they render and paste it into another program or website but double check the legality of this.

Note at the bottom of this page where it says "Powered by vBulletin". I suggest you go to the vBulletin site to see how the software carries out latex rendering. You might also want to google 'blogs' and 'forums' along with 'software' and 'latex' or 'math'.

I do know that there are open source blog and forum programs out there which are supposed to have latex rendering plug-ins. http://wordpress.org" is one.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you're just looking to generate some images with nice TeX-like output, consider this little webpage I just found:
http://www.codecogs.com/components/equationeditor/equationeditor.php

If you're looking for something inline for, say, Word, or WordPerfect, or Pages, take a look at this Wikipedia page for formula editors (the "Gold Standard" has always been the proprietary MathType by Design Sciences, but there are probably decent free ones):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Formula_editor

If you're looking to lay out entire documents in LaTeX (like the pros?), consider getting LaTeX (coincidentally, there's another thread in the Computer Science forum asking how to get LaTeX--second post is the relevant one):
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=302470

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Discover the Versatility of Physics Forums TeX Editor - Try It Now!

1. What is the "Physics Forums TeX Editor"?

The "Physics Forums TeX Editor" is a tool used on the Physics Forums website for writing and formatting mathematical equations and expressions using TeX markup language. It is specifically designed for use in the science and mathematics fields.

2. How do I access the TeX Editor on Physics Forums?

To access the TeX Editor on Physics Forums, simply click on the "TeX" button located in the toolbar of the text editor when creating a post or reply. This will open the TeX Editor window where you can write and format your equations.

3. Can I use the TeX Editor on mobile devices?

Yes, the TeX Editor on Physics Forums is accessible on mobile devices. Simply click on the "TeX" button in the text editor, and the TeX Editor window will open. However, the functionality may be limited on mobile devices compared to using it on a desktop or laptop.

4. What is the difference between TeX and LaTeX?

TeX and LaTeX are both markup languages used for typesetting mathematical equations. The main difference is that LaTeX is an extension of TeX, providing more advanced features and simplifying the process of creating complex equations. The TeX Editor on Physics Forums uses LaTeX syntax.

5. Are there any resources available to help me learn how to use the TeX Editor?

Yes, there are many resources available to help you learn how to use the TeX Editor on Physics Forums. You can visit the "TeX Resources" section on the Physics Forums website, which includes tutorials, guides, and a forum for asking for help. Additionally, there are many online tutorials and guides available for learning TeX and LaTeX.