Discover the Ultimate Guide: Gravitation by Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler

In summary, the conversation is about the availability of a printable version of the book "Gravitation" by Charles W. Misner, Kip S. Thorne, and John Archibald Wheeler in English. The original poster tried searching online but had no luck. Other posters mention that the book is not available online and suggest looking for it in other languages or through a "Physics Napster" thread on a forum. They also mention that the book is a rarity and not easily accessible.
hemmul
Hello all!
I bet this is incorrect forum to post the question like this, but i hope moderators won't punish me too much for this :redface:
i wonder, does anybody of you have a printable version (with good quality!) of Gravitaion (von Charles W. Misner, Kip S. thorne, John Archibald Wheeler) in english?
I tried googling, altavisting etc, but found nothing that made sense...
Thanks in advance for cooperation :)

Astronomy news on Phys.org
I'm pretty sure the book is not online. AFAIK it is still in print.

hemmul said:
... but i hope moderators won't punish me too much for this

hmm...we haven't had a good flogging in a while...

Phobos said:
hmm...we haven't had a good flogging in a while...
erm... hmm... actually it seems to be a good tradition, and... i wonder, why starting with me? :rolleyes:

selfAdjoint said:
I'm pretty sure the book is not online. AFAIK it is still in print.
that's bad... because where i live, not only "radar can't pick us up", but also this book is a rarity (to say nothing of it in english!)... so i'll have to print it in other languages :)
thanks for reply :)

hemmul said:
... so i'll have to print it in other languages :)

I'm curious. What are some languages in which that book is
available online?

I'm curious. What are some languages in which that book is
available online?
for now i have russian version, but it is available only in *.djvu format, with poor quality...
it's one of the books in http://ftp.kinetics.nsc.ru/chichinin/pmlic.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for your reply, Hemmul.

I tried google-searching for an English version too
and had the same disappointing result as you.
there used to be a "Physics Napster" thread at
PF, I have lost track of it now. It might have a lead.

Yes, here it is:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=31

The trouble with this thread is that it is very long, so
it takes a while to scroll through it. I cannot say what
all is there. I do not have big hopes that it has the book
but it might be worth the effort of looking through it.

Last edited:
Thank You very much for Your help and Your time, marcus!
I'll now work through the thread you pointed...

Related to Discover the Ultimate Guide: Gravitation by Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler

1. What is "Discover the Ultimate Guide: Gravitation" about?

"Discover the Ultimate Guide: Gravitation" is a comprehensive and authoritative book on the topic of gravity, written by physicists Charles Misner, Kip Thorne, and John Wheeler. It covers everything from the history of gravity to its role in cosmology and black holes.

2. Who are the authors of "Discover the Ultimate Guide: Gravitation"?

The authors of "Discover the Ultimate Guide: Gravitation" are renowned physicists Charles Misner, Kip Thorne, and John Wheeler. They are known for their contributions to the fields of general relativity, cosmology, and gravitational waves.

3. Is "Discover the Ultimate Guide: Gravitation" suitable for non-scientists?

While "Discover the Ultimate Guide: Gravitation" is a highly technical book, it is written in a clear and accessible manner, making it suitable for anyone with a basic understanding of physics. The authors also provide helpful explanations and visuals to aid in understanding complex concepts.

4. Does "Discover the Ultimate Guide: Gravitation" cover both classical and modern theories of gravity?

Yes, "Discover the Ultimate Guide: Gravitation" covers both classical theories of gravity, such as Newton's law of universal gravitation, and modern theories, such as Einstein's theory of general relativity. It also delves into more advanced topics, such as quantum gravity and string theory.

5. Can "Discover the Ultimate Guide: Gravitation" be used as a reference book for researchers?

Yes, "Discover the Ultimate Guide: Gravitation" is widely recognized as a valuable reference book for researchers in the field of gravity. It contains extensive mathematical derivations and detailed explanations of key concepts, making it a valuable resource for those studying or working in this area.