Discover the Relationship Between CMB's Temperature and Redshift z in Cosmology

• Thread starter Li Jiaxuan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cosmology
In summary: Not yet, but I plan to.In summary, the cosmic microwave background is a relic from when the universe was young and had a high redshift. This radiation is temperature inversely proportional to a parameter called the universe's scale length. The temperature Tr of the CMB as a function of redshift, z, can be shown to be proportional to the temperature of the CMB as observed in the present day (2.725 K or 0.235 meV). This relationship can be used to get a relationship between the CMB temperature and redshift. It usually takes someone another 4-6 years of college study to "master" calculus or mechanics. It is impressive that someone with only a little calculus can solve problems
Li Jiaxuan
I have a question about cosmos microwave background.
Can we get a relationship between CMB's temperature and redshift z??
THX!

Space news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
iirc that's one of the ways the Universe gets dated.
As the universe expands, the CMB photons are redshifted, making the radiation's temperature inversely proportional to a parameter called the universe's scale length. The temperature Tr of the CMB as a function of redshift, z, can be shown to be proportional to the temperature of the CMB as observed in the present day (2.725 K or 0.235 meV)...
--- Noterdaeme, P.; Petitjean, P.; Srianand, R.; Ledoux, C.; López, S. (February 2011). "The evolution of the cosmic microwave background temperature. Measurements of TCMB at high redshift from carbon monoxide excitation". Astronomy and Astrophysics 526: L7. arXiv:1012.3164. Bibcode:2011A&A...526L...7N. doi:10.1051/0004-6361/201016140.​

Simon Bridge said:
Welcome to PF;
iirc that's one of the ways the Universe gets dated.
As the universe expands, the CMB photons are redshifted, making the radiation's temperature inversely proportional to a parameter called the universe's scale length. The temperature Tr of the CMB as a function of redshift, z, can be shown to be proportional to the temperature of the CMB as observed in the present day (2.725 K or 0.235 meV)...
--- Noterdaeme, P.; Petitjean, P.; Srianand, R.; Ledoux, C.; López, S. (February 2011). "The evolution of the cosmic microwave background temperature. Measurements of TCMB at high redshift from carbon monoxide excitation". Astronomy and Astrophysics 526: L7. arXiv:1012.3164. Bibcode:2011A&A...526L...7N. doi:10.1051/0004-6361/201016140.​

Thanks for your answer. I find a function on the internet: T=2.73k*(1+z),and 2.73k is the current temperature of CMB. Hence T/Tnow=1+z.
I know that R2/R1=1+z , R is the universe scale length. And can we get that T~R?
Thank you!
(P.s. Can you introduce a book to me?)

Very roughly - and most books giving a mathematical treatment of cosmology will have the relations you are after.
I've had: Introduction to mathematical cosmology by J Islam recommended to me - I have only skimmed the first chapter so I cannot comment on how good it is.
It doesn't seem to be terrible and I see it is on Cambridge Universities text list FWIW.

Li Jiaxuan, welcome to Physics Forums!

At what level would you like your questions answered? What is your background in physics and mathematics?

George Jones said:
Li Jiaxuan, welcome to Physics Forums!

At what level would you like your questions answered? What is your background in physics and mathematics?

I am a senior student and I want to take part in an astronomy competition in our city. I can master calculus and mechanics. I want a detail answer about CMB.
Thx!

That's impressive - it usually takes people another 4-6years of college study to "master" calculus or mechanics ;)
The problem then is to figure out what level of detail the competition would like to see.
Have a skim of that link I gave you and see how much you follow.
You may need a more elementary work.

Simon Bridge said:
That's impressive - it usually takes people another 4-6years of college study to "master" calculus or mechanics ;)
The problem then is to figure out what level of detail the competition would like to see.
Have a skim of that link I gave you and see how much you follow.
You may need a more elementary work.

Well, I mean I can use a little calculus to solve problems. English is not my native language so my English is poor. I regard "master" as "use".(I often fail in English,forgive me)

Li Jiaxuan said:
I have a question about cosmos microwave background.
Can we get a relationship between CMB's temperature and redshift z??
THX!

The CMB temperature is inversely proportional to the scale factor so you can use that to get a relationship between the CMB temperature and redshift.

Actually your English is better than most native speakers.
Master, as a verb related to a subject matter, means: to acquire complete knowledge or skill in (a subject, technique, or art).

i.e. someone who can ride a little is not a master of horsemanship.
A common use would be "chess is easy to learn and difficult to master."

Academically, "a Master" is someone with at least the post-graduate University degree "Master of" <subject>.

Have you had a look at that book yet?
It's tricky to get references at a lower level that also have the maths you want.

Related to Discover the Relationship Between CMB's Temperature and Redshift z in Cosmology

1. What is cosmology?

Cosmology is the branch of science that studies the origin, evolution, and structure of the universe as a whole.

2. How do scientists study cosmology?

Cosmologists use a combination of theoretical models, observations, and experiments to study the universe. They use tools such as telescopes, satellites, and particle accelerators to gather data and test their theories.

3. What is the Big Bang theory?

The Big Bang theory is the prevailing scientific explanation for the origin of the universe. It states that around 13.8 billion years ago, the universe began as a hot, dense and infinitely small singularity, and has been expanding and cooling ever since.

4. What is dark matter and dark energy?

Dark matter is a form of matter that does not emit, absorb, or reflect light, making it invisible to telescopes. It is thought to make up about 27% of the universe and is responsible for the gravitational effects that hold galaxies together. Dark energy is a mysterious force that is thought to make up about 68% of the universe and is responsible for the accelerating expansion of the universe.

5. What are the current theories on the fate of the universe?

There are a few different theories on the fate of the universe, but the most widely accepted one is the Big Freeze or Heat Death scenario. This theory suggests that the universe will continue to expand and eventually reach a state of maximum entropy, where all energy is evenly distributed and the universe will be cold and dark.