Discover the Proof for Primes: Solving the Mystery of Interesting Sets"

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an "interesting" set of numbers, defined as having p+2 positive integers such that the sum of any p numbers is a multiple of each of the other two. It is noted that these sets can be scaled up and still be considered "interesting", but the only known "primitive" sets (those without any common factors among all numbers) are the "all ones" set and the "almost all ones" set with one p included. The question posed is whether there are any other possible solutions for larger numbers. It is proven that the only interesting primitive sets must have at most one number divisible by p, and all other numbers must either be equal or p times as much.
newchie
Would like to see a proof for the following question.

Let p be a prime number. Define a set interesting if it has p+2 (not necessarily distinct) positive integers such than the sum of any p numbers is a multiple of each of the other two. Find all interesting sets.

Physics news on Phys.org
how interesting is this?

mathwonk said:
how interesting is this?
:))))

If one such collection is 'interesting', such as {1,1,1,1,3} for p=3, then any scaled-up version is also 'interesting': {2,2,2,2,6}, {10,10,10,10,30}, or the like. So call these collections 'primitive' (there goes another wordo) if they don't have any common factor among all numbers (the numbers could still be non-coprime when taken pairwise).

The issue is that, if you try with a computer, the only 'primitive' collections appear to be: A) the "all ones" collection, (p+2 ones), or B) the "almost all ones" (p+1 ones and one 'p'). For example, for p=3, you find only {1,1,1,1,1} and {1,1,1,1,3} (assume the order is irrelevant, otherwise place the '3' in any of the 5 possible positions).

It's expensive to try with the computer for any but small numbers, so the issue is: is this the only solution, of is any other possible for larger numbers?

The only interesting primitive sets are {1,1,1,...,1} and {p,1,1,...,1}.

Let {x1,...,xp+2} be interesting and primitive, and let Sk=(Ʃxi) - xk.

First observe that if one number, say xk, is divisible by p, then all other xi are congruent Sk modulo p. (Since xk|Sk-xi.)

Conclude that at most one of the xi are divisible by p.

For i≠j, we have Sj-xi=aixj, and this equation summed over all i (with i≠j), gives pSj=axj.
In particular, since xj|pSj and xj|p(Sj-xi), we must have xj|pxi for all i and j.

Conclude that all xi not divisible by p must be equal, and if any xj is divisble by p, it must be p times as much.

There should be an :applauding: smilie here. It took me some time, but I think I followed the whole thing. Nice!

Dodo said:
There should be an :applauding: smilie here. It took me some time, but I think I followed the whole thing. Nice!

I second that. :smile:

Related to Discover the Proof for Primes: Solving the Mystery of Interesting Sets"

1. What is the definition of a prime number?

A prime number is a positive integer that is only divisible by 1 and itself.

2. How do you prove that a number is prime?

There are several methods for proving a number is prime, including trial division, Wilson's theorem, and the AKS primality test. These methods involve testing the divisibility of the number by smaller primes or using mathematical formulas.

3. What is the importance of proving a number is prime?

Proving a number is prime is important in many areas of mathematics and science, such as cryptography and number theory. It also helps to understand the distribution and properties of prime numbers.

4. Can all prime numbers be proven using the same method?

No, there are various methods for proving a number is prime, and not all methods work for all numbers. Some methods are more efficient for certain types of numbers, while others may be computationally intensive.

5. Are there any unsolved problems related to proving primes?

Yes, there are still many unsolved problems and conjectures related to prime numbers, such as the Goldbach conjecture and the twin prime conjecture. These problems continue to be a subject of research for mathematicians and scientists.