Discover the Natural Swinging Period of the Human Leg | Need Help Now!

In summary: Both rods have the same mass. Use 7.0 kg. In summary, the human leg can be compared to a physical pendulum, with a "natural" swinging period at which walking is easiest. The length of each rod is about the same, 54 cm. The lower rod has a mass of 4.3 kg and the upper rod has a mass of 7.0 kg. The natural swinging period of the system is T = 2pi Squareroot (I//mgh).
sungjoooneee
The human leg can be compared to a physical pendulum, with a "natural" swinging period at which walking is easiest. Consider the leg as two rods joined rigidly together at the knee; the axis for the leg is the hip joint. The length of each rod is about the same, 54 cm. The upper rod has a mass of 7.0 kg and the lower rod has a mass of 4.3 kg.

Calculate the natural swinging period of the system.
Express your answer using two significant figures.

I really need help..i am totally lost and it;s due in 3 hours...

Physics news on Phys.org
sungjoooneee said:
The human leg can be compared to a physical pendulum, with a "natural" swinging period at which walking is easiest. Consider the leg as two rods joined rigidly together at the knee; the axis for the leg is the hip joint. The length of each rod is about the same, 54 cm. The upper rod has a mass of 7.0 kg and the lower rod has a mass of 4.3 kg.

Calculate the natural swinging period of the system.
Express your answer using two significant figures.

I really need help..i am totally lost and it;s due in 3 hours...

Show some effort first!

I haven't seen this two pendulum system before but you must show your work before anyone else would help you (see rules).

I can say assume it as one rod and find center of mass
using the pendulum equations (that mgl = something .. I don't have my book near me for reference and I cannot remember those standard equations correctly) find T. (but this is just a guess)

Last edited:
The lower leg will move about the knee at the endpoints of the swings and for one of the 2 swings in particular. Since there is no air resistance, you may avoid working with that; what you might want to take into account towards are fluctuations in the moment of inertia and see if there is any effect on the overall rotation.

T = 2pi Squareroot (I//mgh)

how do you determine moment of inertia, and h..

For m do i use 7.0 kg or 4.3 kg

Related to Discover the Natural Swinging Period of the Human Leg | Need Help Now!

What is a natural pendulum?

A natural pendulum is a physical system that consists of a mass suspended from a fixed point by a string, wire, or rod. The mass is able to swing back and forth due to the force of gravity, creating a regular motion.

How does a natural pendulum work?

A natural pendulum works by utilizing the force of gravity to create a regular oscillating motion. When the mass is pulled to one side and released, it will swing back and forth in a predictable pattern, known as a period.

What factors affect the motion of a natural pendulum?

The motion of a natural pendulum is affected by several factors, including the length of the string or rod, the mass of the suspended object, and the force of gravity. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also play a role in the pendulum's motion.

What is the formula for calculating the period of a natural pendulum?

The formula for calculating the period of a natural pendulum is T = 2π√(L/g), where T is the period in seconds, L is the length of the pendulum in meters, and g is the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s² on Earth).

What are some real-world applications of natural pendulums?

Natural pendulums have several real-world applications, including timekeeping devices such as grandfather clocks and metronomes, seismometers for measuring earthquakes, and as a tool for investigating the effects of gravity on different objects.