Discover the Best Introductory Books for Quantum Theory | Expert Recommendations

In summary, Velocity is a vector quantity that represents the speed of something in a particular direction. It is measured in meters per second. Classical mechanics is a body of scientific principles that govern the behavior of matter and energy in the absence of a force. It is based on the laws of motion that were first proposed by Isaac Newton in the 17th century.
genome66
What are some good introductory books to Quantum theory.

Physics news on Phys.org
Depends somewhat on your level of mathematical maturity. Griffiths is generally a reasonable place to start.

what are the variables in the equation v=dx/dt (obviously v is velocity).

I was wondering also if there was a book that listed and described the majority of physics equations, especially the ones pertaining to quantum theory?

Do you know what

[tex]
\frac{d x}{d t}
[/tex]

stands for?

If you are interested in some non-mathematical (popular science) books about quantum mechanics (and modern physics generally) to get a feeling for the subject. Brian Green's Fabric of the Cosmos is very interesting and a good read.

If you are interested in a mathematical book on the subject, Griffith's Quantum Mechanics is the standard. Very well written and very logical progression, and it introduces key mathematical concepts (Fourier series, PDE separation of variables) along the way. However, if I understand your question that you don't understand what v=dx/dt means, I would recommend you need to do four-five things before you even think about quantum theory.

1. Work through a good single variable calculus book.
2. Learn Newtonian classical mechanics
3. Work through a good multi-variable calculus book.
(4. Work through a good linear algebra book.)
5. Learn classical mechanics (lagrangian/hamiltonian) and electricity and magnetism.

At that point you can start to embark into mathematical quantum mechanics with stride.

I think all what's left for me from what you said is the Hamiltonian and Lagrangian mechanics, so what should I do then?

Just read a book like "University Physics" by Young/Freedman or "Fundamentals of Physics"
by Halliday/Resnick (not the 9th edition!). At the end of this book there is a section on
modern physics introducing relativity, quantum theory & cosmology at just the right level
for someone who has studied all of the previous classical mechanics & Electromagnetism in
the book. Once you have finished either of these massive books you'll be in a position to
have a look at some proper quantum theory without that horrendous feeling you get from
skipping details in a math book (which gets increasingly worse as you read on!).

Since both of those books require calculus what you could do would be to read a different
book called https://www.amazon.com/dp/0201473968/?tag=pfamazon01-20, I've never read it but it looks perfect if you
mix it with a calculus book like Stewart's calculus (or cheaper & way better -
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0871503417/?tag=pfamazon01-20 ($0.03!))

If you do not know what dx/dt means inside out stay away from Lagrangians! :biggrin:
You'll learn what dx/dt means properly in the Swokowski & Integrated Physics/Calculus
books :wink:

I'll also recommend www.khanacademy.org if you need help learning
your calculus, you could even watch the calculus videos now & find
out what dx/dt means :wink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks =D, I feel like dx/dt will mean a different thing after I'm done :D

Related to Discover the Best Introductory Books for Quantum Theory | Expert Recommendations

1. What is quantum theory?

Quantum theory is a branch of physics that explains the behavior of matter and energy at a very small scale, such as atoms and subatomic particles. It describes the fundamental principles that govern the behavior of these particles and their interactions.

2. How does quantum theory differ from classical physics?

Quantum theory differs from classical physics in that it takes into account the wave-particle duality of matter, where particles can behave as both waves and particles. It also includes the concept of uncertainty, where the exact position and momentum of a particle cannot be known simultaneously.

3. What is the significance of Schrödinger's cat in quantum theory?

Schrödinger's cat is a thought experiment that illustrates the paradoxical nature of quantum theory. In the experiment, a cat is placed in a sealed box with a radioactive substance that has a 50% chance of decaying and releasing a poison that will kill the cat. According to quantum theory, until the box is opened and observed, the cat is both alive and dead at the same time, highlighting the concept of superposition in quantum mechanics.

4. How is quantum theory applied in technology?

Quantum theory has many practical applications in technology, such as in the development of transistors, lasers, and computer memory. It is also used in quantum computing, which has the potential to greatly increase computing power and speed.

5. What are some current challenges and unanswered questions in quantum theory?

Some current challenges in quantum theory include the development of a theory of quantum gravity, which would unify quantum mechanics with general relativity, and the understanding of quantum entanglement and its potential applications. There are also many unanswered questions, such as the exact nature of dark matter and energy, and the interpretation of observed phenomena in quantum mechanics.