Discover Bluegrass Music Series "Song of the Mountains" on PBS

• Music
  • Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
In summary, there is a series called Song of the Mountains that airs on PBS on Friday evenings after the weekly news shows. Despite not being a fan of bluegrass, the conversation participant is impressed with the talent showcased in the series and finds themselves hesitant to change the channel. They recommend checking out the series for those who enjoy bluegrass music and mention the Irish influence and emotive nature of the genre. They also mention some popular bluegrass musicians and the memorable song "Man of Constant Sorrow" from the movie O' Brother Where Art Thou.
Ivan Seeking
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A series called Song of the Mountains comes on PBS, after my weekly news shows, on Friday evenings. Considering that I don't generally care for bluegrass, trust me when I say they have some great stuff! I've seen enough to be quite impressed with the caliber of the talent. Normally, when something like this comes on, I quickly change the channel, but I find myself hesitating and wanting to listen.

If you like bluegrass, you should definitely take a look.
http://www.songofthemountains.org/
http://www.songofthemountains.org/broadcastschedule.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Science news on Phys.org
I don't particularly care for country myself but some good bluegrass is something I definitely enjoy. Perhaps its the irish influence as I tend to enjoy irish folk as well.

about the only popular bluegrass musicians i know of are Alison Crouse and Union Station, but they/she are just superb. bluegrass to me is just so much more emotive than most country. it reminds me a bit of some irish music in that sense, it's very "soulish".

And who could not remember and enjoy Man of Constant Sorrow from O' Brother Where Art Thou?

08e9k-c91E8[/youtube] There were some other good songs on the soundtrack too.

Related to Discover Bluegrass Music Series "Song of the Mountains" on PBS

1. What is "Song of the Mountains" on PBS?

"Song of the Mountains" is a weekly music series on PBS that showcases the best in bluegrass and old-time music. It is filmed live in front of a live audience at the Lincoln Theatre in Marion, Virginia.

2. When does "Song of the Mountains" air?

"Song of the Mountains" airs on PBS stations nationwide on Saturdays at 8 PM EST. It also airs on RFD-TV on Sundays at 7 PM EST and on Blue Highways TV on Wednesdays at 7 PM EST.

3. Who hosts "Song of the Mountains"?

The show is hosted by Tim White, a musician and radio host, and his daughter, Reagan White, who is also a musician and actress. They introduce each act and provide background information on the artists and their music.

4. How can I watch past episodes of "Song of the Mountains"?

Past episodes of "Song of the Mountains" can be streamed on the show's website or on the PBS website. They are also available for purchase on DVD.

5. Who are some of the artists featured on "Song of the Mountains"?

The show features a variety of bluegrass and old-time music artists, including Rhonda Vincent, The Steep Canyon Rangers, Doyle Lawson & Quicksilver, and The Del McCoury Band. It also showcases up-and-coming artists in the genre.