Discontinuous electric fields

In summary, Griffiths introduction to electrodynamics discusses the continuity of electric potential and electric fields, except in the case of surface charge density. However, in the real world, these densities are composed of finite charged particles, making it difficult to have continuous distributions of charge. The question arises whether considering charged particles in terms of their quantum mechanical wave functions can allow for continuous distributions of charge and therefore, discontinuous electric fields in the case of a continuous surface charge density. It is important to consider atomic charge and waveforms emitted by materials when discussing this topic. However, it is best not to mix quantum mechanics into classical E&M.
ExplosivePete
Griffiths introduction to electrodynamics talks about how electric potential is always continuous and electric fields are continuous except in the case of a surface charge density. This seems fair assuming you can have a continuous surface charge Density, but in the real world, these densities are made up of many finite charged particles (at least if we're thinking classically). If we think of the charged particles in terms of their quantum mechanical wave functions, could that allow for continuous distributions of charge and therefore allow for discontinuous electric fields in event of a continuous surface charge density?

I don't feel great about my wording of the question. Please ask me to clarify if needed.

Thanks,

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
See,the question's language is very unclear.
Don't think according to thermodynamics but according to atomic charge.
As per I can comprehend,every material is reactive and emits certain waveforms(according to the atomic no.)
So I can conclude that a quantum mechanical wave can't allow discontinuous electric fields as every object is possessing specific unit of charge.
I am mostly from a chemistry background so I can't discuss it according to electric potential.

It's best not to try mixing quantum mechanics into classical E&M. Classically, surface currents can be continuous (in plane of the surface) or not (J is confined to an infinitely thin layer).

Related to Discontinuous electric fields

1. What are discontinuous electric fields?

Discontinuous electric fields refer to electric fields that are not uniform or continuous in nature. These can occur when there are changes in the distribution of charges or in the shape of the conducting medium.

2. How do discontinuous electric fields affect the behavior of charges?

Discontinuous electric fields can cause charges to experience a force, which can result in their movement and acceleration. The strength and direction of this force depends on the magnitude and direction of the electric field at a particular point.

3. Can discontinuous electric fields exist in vacuum?

Yes, discontinuous electric fields can exist in vacuum. Vacuum is not a perfect insulator and can still have small amounts of charged particles, which can create electric fields. However, these fields are typically very weak.

4. How are discontinuous electric fields different from continuous electric fields?

Continuous electric fields are uniform and do not change in magnitude or direction throughout a given space. In contrast, discontinuous electric fields have variations in their strength and direction, which can lead to non-uniform behavior of charges within the field.

5. What are some real-life applications of discontinuous electric fields?

Discontinuous electric fields are commonly used in electronic devices such as capacitors, where their non-uniform nature allows for the storage and release of electrical energy. They are also important in understanding the behavior of lightning and other atmospheric phenomena.