Dirichlet problem for the laplacian in the strip

• MHB
  • Thread starter pantboio
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Laplacian
In summary, the problem is that if the condition is $\lim_{|y| \rightarrow +\infty} u(x,y)=0$, then the only harmonic function is the zero one. When S is defined in a different range, the solution is a sum of a cosine and a sine.
pantboio
I'm looking for all functions $u$ harmonic in $S$ and continuous in $\overline S$ such that
$$u(a,y)=u(b,y)=0,\forall y$$
and
$$\lim_{|y|\rightarrow +\infty} u(x,y)=0$$
where $S$ is the strip $\{a<\operatorname{Re}(z)<b\}$

My strategy is the following. I know that if $g$ is continuous on $\partial D$, with $D$ the unit disc,then
\begin{equation*}
u(z)= \left\{
\begin{array}{}
\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_0^{2\pi}g(e^{i\theta}) \frac{1-|z|^2}{|e^{i\theta}-z|^2}d\theta& \text{if } z\in D,\\
g(z)& \text{if } z\in\partial D\\
\end{array} \right.
\end{equation*}
is harmonic in $D$, continuous in $\overline D$ and $u=g$ on $\partial D$.

So i find a conformal map $\phi$ from the strip to the unit disc and i look for harmonic functions in the disc that vanish on the boundary. But in this case $g$ is the function identically equal to 0, hence the only harmonic functions i find is the zero one. In all this i have the strong sensation to have missed something fundamental from the theory, but i don't know what. Can someone give me a suggestion?

Physics news on Phys.org
pantboio said:
I'm looking for all functions $u$ harmonic in $S$ and continuous in $\overline S$ such that
$$u(a,y)=u(b,y)=0,\forall y$$
and
$$\lim_{|y|\rightarrow +\infty} u(x,y)=0$$
where $S$ is the strip $\{a<\operatorname{Re}(z)<b\}$

My strategy is the following. I know that if $g$ is continuous on $\partial D$, with $D$ the unit disc,then
\begin{equation*}
u(z)= \left\{
\begin{array}{}
\frac{1}{2\pi}\int_0^{2\pi}g(e^{i\theta}) \frac{1-|z|^2}{|e^{i\theta}-z|^2}d\theta& \text{if } z\in D,\\
g(z)& \text{if } z\in\partial D\\
\end{array} \right.
\end{equation*}
is harmonic in $D$, continuous in $\overline D$ and $u=g$ on $\partial D$.

So i find a conformal map $\phi$ from the strip to the unit disc and i look for harmonic functions in the disc that vanish on the boundary. But in this case $g$ is the function identically equal to 0, hence the only harmonic functions i find is the zero one. In all this i have the strong sensation to have missed something fundamental from the theory, but i don't know what. Can someone give me a suggestion?

As preliminary inspection we can follow the classical approach assuming that is $\displaystyle u(x,y)= \alpha(x)\ \beta(y)$ and that leads to the pair of ODE...$\displaystyle \alpha^{\ ''} + \lambda \alpha =0$ (1)

$\displaystyle \beta^{\ ''} - \lambda \beta =0$ (2)

... where $\lambda$ is a constant that will be better defined later.

For semplicity sake we suppose that $0 \le x \le 1$. Starting from (1) its [not identically equal to zero...] solution with the contour conditions $\displaystyle \alpha(0)= \alpha(1)=0$ is...

$\displaystyle \alpha= k\ \sin \sqrt{\lambda}\ x = k\ \sin \pi\ n\ x $ (3)

... where k is a constant and $\sqrt{\lambda}= \pi\ n$.

Now we observe (2), the solution of which is...

$\displaystyle \beta = c_1\ e^{\sqrt {\lambda}\ y} + c_{2}\ e^{- \sqrt{\lambda}\ y}$ (4)

... and soon a little problem appears. If the condition is $\displaystyle \lim_{|y| \rightarrow \infty} u(x,y)=0$ and S is defined in $0 \le x \le 1$ and $- \infty < y < + \infty$, then in (4) is $c_{1}=c_{2}=0$ and the Diriclet problem has the only solution is $u(x,y)=0$. If S, for example, is defined in $0 \le x \le 1$ and $0 \le y < + \infty$, then the solution is...

$\displaystyle u(x,y)= \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} k_{n}\ \sin (\pi\ n\ x)\ e^{- \pi\ n\ y}$ (5)

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

Last edited:

Related to Dirichlet problem for the laplacian in the strip

1. What is the Dirichlet problem for the Laplacian in the strip?

The Dirichlet problem for the Laplacian in the strip is a mathematical problem in which we seek to find a function that satisfies a given boundary condition on the sides of a strip and also satisfies the Laplace equation within the strip. This problem arises in the study of partial differential equations and has applications in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics.

2. What is the Laplace equation?

The Laplace equation is a partial differential equation that describes the behavior of a scalar function in a region of space. In the case of the Dirichlet problem for the Laplacian in the strip, the Laplace equation takes the form of a second-order partial differential equation that relates the values of the function at different points within the strip.

3. How is the Dirichlet problem for the Laplacian in the strip solved?

The Dirichlet problem for the Laplacian in the strip is typically solved using methods from complex analysis, such as the method of conformal mapping. This involves transforming the strip into a different region in the complex plane where the problem can be solved more easily. Other methods, such as separation of variables and integral transforms, can also be used to solve this problem.

4. What are the applications of the Dirichlet problem for the Laplacian in the strip?

The Dirichlet problem for the Laplacian in the strip has various applications in physics, engineering, and mathematics. It can be used to model physical phenomena such as heat transfer, fluid flow, and electrostatics. It also has applications in complex analysis, where it is used to study the behavior of analytic functions in a particular region.

5. Are there any open problems related to the Dirichlet problem for the Laplacian in the strip?

Yes, there are still open problems related to the Dirichlet problem for the Laplacian in the strip. One example is the study of the boundary behavior of solutions to this problem, which is a topic of ongoing research. Another open problem is the generalization of this problem to higher dimensions, which has applications in the study of partial differential equations in multiple variables.