Welcome to our community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Directional Derivatives

Fantini

"Read Euler, read Euler." - Laplace
MHB Math Helper
Feb 29, 2012
Here's the problem:

Find the directional derivative of the function $V(x,y) = x^3 -3xy +4y^2$ at the point $P(2,1)$ in the direction of the unit vector $\vec{u}$ given by the angle $\theta = \pi /6$.

So I found the gradient of the function $$\nabla V(x,y) = (3x^2 -3y, 8y -3x),$$ and then at the point desired: $$\nabla V(2,1) = (3(2)^2 -3(1), 8(1) -3(2)) = (12-3, 8-6) = (9,2).$$ Single he gave me the angle, I can find it using the scalar product definition: $D_u V(2,1) = | \nabla V(2,1) | \cdot \cos \theta$, which means $$D_u V(2,1) = \sqrt{ 9^2 +2^2} \cdot \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} = \sqrt{85} \cdot \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} = \frac{\sqrt{255}}{2}.$$

The problem is that the answer is $D_u V(2,1) = 1 + 4.5 \sqrt{3}$ which is simply multiplying each of the gradient's coordinate by the cosine and summing. I disagree with it entirely; if the vector wasn't given, there's no way to do the scalar product by multiplying and summing the coordinates, so we have to use the other form.

Jester

MHB Math Helper
Jan 26, 2012
Here's the problem:

Find the directional derivative of the function $V(x,y) = x^3 -3xy +4y^2$ at the point $P(2,1)$ in the direction of the unit vector $\vec{u}$ given by the angle $\theta = \pi /6$.

So I found the gradient of the function $$\nabla V(x,y) = (3x^2 -3y, 8y -3x),$$ and then at the point desired: $$\nabla V(2,1) = (3(2)^2 -3(1), 8(1) -3(2)) = (12-3, 8-6) = (9,2).$$ Single he gave me the angle, I can find it using the scalar product definition: $D_u V(2,1) = | \nabla V(2,1) | \cdot \cos \theta$, which means $$D_u V(2,1) = \sqrt{ 9^2 +2^2} \cdot \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} = \sqrt{85} \cdot \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} = \frac{\sqrt{255}}{2}.$$

The problem is that the answer is $D_u V(2,1) = 1 + 4.5 \sqrt{3}$ which is simply multiplying each of the gradient's coordinate by the cosine and summing. I disagree with it entirely; if the vector wasn't given, there's no way to do the scalar product by multiplying and summing the coordinates, so we have to use the other form.
I believe that the unit vector you look for is

$\vec{u} = < \cos \theta, \sin \theta>$

BTW - with your definition $\theta$, $\theta$ is the angle between $\nabla V(2,1) = <9,2>$ and the unit vector $<\dfrac{\sqrt{3}}{2},\dfrac{1}{2}>$ and not $\theta = \dfrac{\pi}{6}$

Last edited:

Reckoner

Jun 16, 2012
Single he gave me the angle, I can find it using the scalar product definition: $D_u V(2,1) = | \nabla V(2,1) | \cdot \cos \theta$, which means $$D_u V(2,1) = \sqrt{ 9^2 +2^2} \cdot \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} = \sqrt{85} \cdot \frac{\sqrt{3}}{2} = \frac{\sqrt{255}}{2}.$$
What's going on here? The direction vector is \(\mathbf{u} = \cos\theta\,\mathbf{i} + \sin\theta\,\mathbf{j} = \frac{\sqrt3}2\mathbf{i} + \frac12\mathbf{j}\), so

\[D_{\mathbf u}V(x, y) = \nabla V(x,y)\cdot\mathbf{u}\]

\[=\left(3x^2-3y\right)\cdot\frac{\sqrt3}2+\left(8y-3x\right)\cdot\frac12\]

\[\Rightarrow D_{\mathbf u}V(2,1) = \frac{9\sqrt3}2 + 1.\]

Fantini

"Read Euler, read Euler." - Laplace
MHB Math Helper
Feb 29, 2012
I supposed I misread the question then. What I did was assume he spoke of a general unit vector giving the angle between it and the gradient as $\theta = \pi/6.$ My bad then. Thanks for clearing it up! :D

HallsofIvy

MHB Math Helper
Jan 29, 2012
A "general unit vector giving the angle between it and the gradient as [tex]\theta = \pi/6[/tex]"?
There is only one such vector!