Safety of chemical experiments at home

In summary, the conversation discusses the safety and practicality of performing chemistry experiments at home. The speaker suggests using a forum for advice and purchasing chemicals and glassware from reputable sources. They also mention the importance of proper safety precautions and having someone else present while conducting experiments. Finally, they mention that household items may not be as effective as ordering chemicals, but they can be more fun to work with.
bjon-07
I am a freshman at USD ( chem major). I absolutely love chem lab. I have been think about preforming some experiments at home. Is this a bad idea, unsafe.

I have had basic college lab knowldge, i.e. what to do if you spill an acid, ect.

Is it safe to buy chemcials (an or labware) on ebay ( can i assume they are what the labels claims they are)?

One last question, in chem lab we did the classic experiment of sliver coating the inside a beaker. Could i use this to coat other objects in sliver ( i.e. my paintball gun).

Thank you for your time! :)

Chemistry news on Phys.org
www.sciencemadness.org/talk/

That's a great forum dedicated to practical chemistry at home. All experiments can be safe, provided you know exactly what you're doing. The stuff on ebay is for real. I suggest CHEMSAVERS INC. as an ebay store for chemicals, and all the glassware you'd need is offered by various members. I wouldn't bother ordering chemicals though, it's a lot more fun to use household items to make what you want.

Oh and I don't think you can use that silver to coat your gun. It's probably just wash off/rub off on your hands. I suggest paint!

Well... I'd have to agree with Thunderfvck on this one... mostly.

Here's the thing. It's great that you know basic lab safety procedures, but here are some things to keep in mind.
1. After working with chemicals, the work area should be treated as unclean even after washing it. So if you're planning on doing an experiment on your kitchen counter, I wouldn't want to make dinner on that same counter.
2. Houses are not often equipped with fume hoods, as are most laboratories.
3. I disagree that household items are more fun to work with. But the problem with ordering chemicals is that they're really expensive!
4. Make sure you have someone around who will check up on you periodically. Doing laboratory work alone is NEVER a good idea.

1. How can I ensure the safety of chemical experiments at home?

To ensure safety during chemical experiments at home, it is important to follow proper safety protocols. This includes wearing protective gear such as gloves, goggles, and lab coats, properly storing and labeling chemicals, having a fire extinguisher and first aid kit on hand, and working in a well-ventilated area. It is also important to have a plan in case of accidents or spills, and to never work alone.

2. Are there any chemicals that are not safe to use in home experiments?

Yes, there are several chemicals that should not be used in home experiments due to their hazardous nature. These include strong acids and bases, flammable liquids, and toxic substances. It is important to research and understand the properties of chemicals before using them in experiments, and to only use chemicals that are deemed safe for home use.

3. How can I dispose of chemicals safely after experiments?

Proper disposal of chemicals is crucial for the safety of both individuals and the environment. It is important to follow the guidelines provided by your local waste management agency for disposing of chemicals. This may include taking them to a designated hazardous waste facility or using a chemical disposal service. Never pour chemicals down the drain or throw them in the trash.

4. Can I conduct experiments with children at home?

It is not recommended to conduct chemical experiments with children at home. Children may not fully understand the potential dangers and may not follow safety protocols. It is important to only conduct experiments with children under close supervision and with safe, age-appropriate materials. Additionally, it is important to educate children about the potential hazards of chemicals and the importance of safety when handling them.

5. What should I do if there is an accident during a chemical experiment at home?

If there is an accident during a chemical experiment at home, the first step is to remain calm and assess the situation. If there is a fire, use a fire extinguisher or call emergency services. If there is a spill or exposure to chemicals, follow the safety data sheet for the specific chemical and seek medical attention if necessary. It is important to have a plan in place for accidents and to know how to properly handle them.