A great lightning pic from Texas

• Thread starter Ivan Seeking
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lightning
In summary, Zooby posted a photo of mammatus clouds, which are appendages that protrude from the bottom of strong cumulonimbus clouds. These clouds only occur in the vicinity of severe thunderstorms and supercells. They are named after 'mammaries' because of their peculiar 'mammary'-like appearance.
Njorl said:
So what is the vertical line in the center, and thosered things?

Njorl
That's an alien spacecraft , complete with weather-control devices.

- Warren

Physics news on Phys.org
chroot said:
Depending upon what neighborhood you live in, you might enjoy either perpetual fog or perpetual sunshine.
Mark Twain must have lived in a foggy area, then to have said that. I would suppose the constant clammy damp would make it seem much colder than it actually was, especially with no sun.

chroot said:
That's an alien spacecraft , complete with weather-control devices.
You're almost right: just talked to the grays and they said that "weather-control" device is actually the ship's exterior anal probe.

zoobyshoe said:
You're almost right: just talked to the grays and they said that "weather-control" device is actually the ship's exterior anal probe.
I guess they come in different sizes. I've seen the small, medium and large ones already. I guess this would be the movie theater inspired extra extra super biggie jumbo size.

- Warren

chroot said:
I guess they come in different sizes. I've seen the small, medium and large ones already. I guess this would be the movie theater inspired extra extra super biggie jumbo size.
I could go into more detail, but I think the thread should get back to what it's really about: breasts.

Remember the Australian pic? We had quite a storm move over Europe last saturday and I finally figured out the official name for the formation: "rol wolk" or "rolling cloud" ('cause that's the one that came over) :biggrin:

http://www.meteonet.nl/buienlijn_EnschedeJohnKerstholtsm.jpg

Shelf clouds are equally impressive (this one not take last saturday :tongue2:)
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/iwx/wxpics/clouds_sun/Berryshelf.jpg

WOW AGAIN!

I love this stuff - very dramatic. We had a kick butt lighting storm here the other night. The lightning started about 11 PM and lasted nearly until dawn. About 3 AM Tsu and I were almost bounced out of bed by a series of large strikes directly overhead; or nearly so anyway.

Pretty... :bugeye:

That one named the Mothership reminds me when I was 4 years old and this older kid told me clouds where really alien ships in disguise, waiting to suck you up when no ones looking. He show me a book that said that too (can you believe?). Scard the living hell out of me! :grumpy:

So that was the storm that hit us. I didn't get the worst but it was bad in Enlgand.

The Bob (2004 ©)