How does WinXP's System Restore work?

In summary, WinXP's System Restore allows users to create "backup" points in their computer, which can take up a significant amount of storage space. It saves settings and installed programs, but can also be a resource hog on larger hard drives. Disabling it is not recommended unless data is regularly backed up.
aychamo
How does WinXP's System Restore work?

From what I understand, I can use it to create "backup" points in my computer. How large are these backups? What all does it save in a backup? I guess that's the most important question. How many of my settings/installed programs does it save?

Computer science news on Phys.org
if you can catch the screen savers (repeat show) tonight at 12 est (or 12 midday tomorrow) on tech tv you will get a good explanation of this.

It's a massive resource hog. On large hard drives it can be as much as 10, 15,20 gb. I've disabled it before but I won't recommend it unless you back-up your data every so often.

Last edited:

1. How does WinXP's System Restore work?

WinXP's System Restore is a feature that allows users to revert their computer's settings back to a previous point in time. It works by creating restore points, which are snapshots of the system's settings and configuration at a specific time. These restore points can then be used to undo any changes made to the system, such as installing new software or making system updates.

2. How do I create a restore point in WinXP?

To create a restore point in WinXP, go to the Start menu and click on "All Programs," then go to "Accessories" and select "System Tools." From there, click on "System Restore" and follow the prompts to create a restore point. You can also set up automatic restore points to be created at regular intervals.

3. Can I undo a system restore in WinXP?

Yes, you can undo a system restore in WinXP by going to the System Restore tool and selecting the option to "Undo" the most recent restore point. This will revert your system back to the state it was in before the restore was performed.

4. Will a system restore in WinXP affect my personal files?

No, a system restore in WinXP will only affect system settings and configurations. Your personal files, such as documents, photos, and music, will not be affected by a system restore.

5. How far back can I restore my system in WinXP?

The number of restore points available in WinXP will depend on the amount of disk space allocated for the feature and how often restore points are created. In general, you can restore your system back to a point up to 90 days in the past. However, it is recommended to create manual restore points before making any major changes to your system, as they will provide more control and flexibility for restoring your system.