Direction of the components of a vector using trigonometry

In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the reactions at A and the force in member FG in a truss supporting a sign board, due to a horizontal wind load of 60lb per vertical foot. The equations ΣFx=0, ΣFy=0, and ΣM=0 are used to solve the problem. The direction of the forces is determined using trigonometry, with the convention that positive values refer to right and up, while negative values refer to left and down. The use of positive values may differ based on individual preferences and conventions. The conversation also covers the concept of resisting forces and the importance of changing arrow directions to achieve a balanced force system.
dlacombe13

Homework Statement

The truss supports a sign board as shown in the figure. Calculate the reactions at A and the force in the member FG produced by the horizontal wind load of 60lb per vertical foot of a sign.

Homework Equations

ΣFx=0
ΣFy=0
ΣM=0

The Attempt at a Solution

Everything is right except for Ax which should equal 257lb in the left direction. Now my problem is when I set up my equations, they always fix my directions (negative answer means wrong assumption). However in this case, I had to use trigonometry to solve for Gx and FG. When I plugged in the numbers, I get the wrong direction. How do I find the proper direction of the forces when using trigonometry?
IMG_20151217_130600.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
For these sign problems, it is easiest to refer back to your diagram.
600 is left to right.
Ax is right to left.
Gx is left to right.
So |600| - |Ax| = |Gx|.

Well that does indeed give the right answer, but I'm confused about how that equation is set up. According to my diagram and my assumed directions, the equation is:
ΣFx = Gx-Ax+600 = 0

So if I rearrange that, it would be :
ΣFx = 600-Ax = -Gx

Why is the Gx is your equation positive on the right side?

From the diagram, I see 600lb being applied in the +x direction, which is distributed into components Gx and Ax. So just looking at positive values, |Gx| + |Ax| = 600.

Perhaps, your application of the angle for Gx was incorrect, and you should have gotten Gx = -343 lb, implying it is applying the force from right to left, and Ax is + 257 lb implying it is applying the force from left to right. Then your equations balance out.
Are Gx and Ax the resisting forces which are keeping the structure in one place?

Well for some reason my book uses negative answers as meaning left and down forces. So it is saying that Ax is indeed right to left. It also implies that FG is going towards the left. The book unfortunately does not provide the answer to Gx, because it is not asked for. However, I do see how 600-343 would equal 257, and although it is positive, that is okay because my Ax direction was assumed properly (right to left). So how would I know the direction of Gx in that case? If Gx is indeed right to left, that would solve my problem.

I was also never taught to just use positive values as you did, so I am a little confused as to where that comes from, however it does give the right answer. It's just throwing me off because in my diagram the Ax is right to left, so it would be -Ax in the equation, and 600 is positive, so it would be negative once moved to the right side of the equation.

EDIT: My main question is how do I find the direction of Gx if it was found using only trig? It is clear to me that it must be negative, but how would I figure that out mathematically?

Last edited:
dlacombe13 said:
ΣFx = Gx-Ax+600 = 0

This is what I get using your drawing:
ΣFx = Gx+Ax+600 = 0
ΣFx =+343+Ax+600=0
Ax = -943 lb

[My main question is how do I find the direction of Gx if it was found using only trig? It is clear to me that it must be negative, but how would I figure that out mathematically?[/QUOTE]

Based on your drawing Gx is positive because it points towards the right.

From what Mister T has pointed out, if you want the sum of your forces to balance, you have to change the directions of your arrows. Ax and Gx are pushing back against the structure to hold it in place, bracing it against the 600lb force the wind is applying.
As for the trig, I would apply the same sign rules you have in place for the drawing, i.e. theta = 0 refers to pointing directly to the right. In your drawing, from the angle theta, the adjacent leg goes toward the left, so make that a -2, and the opposite leg goes up from the base, so make that a +5, then ## \tan^{-1} \theta = -5/2 \implies \theta = -68.2 ° \text{ or } 111.8 °##. These angles also agree with the convention of right, up = positive and down, left = negative.

Related to Direction of the components of a vector using trigonometry

1. How do you determine the direction of a vector using trigonometry?

To determine the direction of a vector using trigonometry, you must first find the x and y components of the vector. Then, you can use the inverse tangent function (arctan) to find the angle of the vector with respect to the x-axis. This angle is known as the direction angle.

2. What is the difference between the magnitude and direction of a vector?

The magnitude of a vector refers to its size or length, while the direction of a vector refers to the angle it makes with respect to a reference axis. Both the magnitude and direction are necessary to fully describe a vector.

3. Can you use trigonometry to find the direction of a vector in three-dimensional space?

Yes, trigonometry can be used to find the direction of a vector in three-dimensional space. In addition to finding the direction angle with respect to the x-axis, you can also use the inverse sine and cosine functions (arcsin and arccos) to find the angles of the vector with respect to the y and z axes, respectively.

4. What is the range of possible values for the direction angle of a vector?

The range of possible values for the direction angle of a vector is from 0 to 360 degrees or 0 to 2π radians. This is because the direction angle can be measured in either degrees or radians, and a full circle is 360 degrees or 2π radians.

5. How is the direction of a vector represented visually?

The direction of a vector can be represented visually using an arrow. The length of the arrow represents the magnitude of the vector, while the angle of the arrow with respect to a reference axis represents the direction of the vector. The arrow can be drawn on a coordinate plane to show the x and y components of the vector.