Direction of static friction in rolling motion?

In summary, the conversation discusses the direction of static friction in two different situations: a spool of wire being pulled by a force at the top and a sphere rolling down an incline. It is mentioned that friction must act in the direction of the force for the object to behave in a familiar way, and that considering what would happen without friction can help determine its direction.
timnswede
I don't really have a specific problem, but for example, I was doing a problem where a constant force unwounds a spool of wire (a disk). The force pulls at the top of the disk to the right and the force of static friction is also at the bottom to the right, the same direction as the sphere is moving. But in an example we did in class where a sphere rolls down an incline, the force of static friction was to the left, up the incline and the opposite direction of the way the sphere was rolling. I'm really lost as to how to find out which was static friction is supposed to go, can anyone enlighten me? I wasn't sure where else to post this question so I'm sorry if it is in the wrong place.

Physics news on Phys.org
timnswede said:
I was doing a problem where a constant force unwounds a spool of wire (a disk). The force pulls at the top of the disk to the right and the force of static friction is also at the bottom to the right, the same direction as the sphere is moving.
For the spool, I think you mean "the cylinder", not "the sphere". What is causing the friction in that problem? My guess will be that the spool is rolling along a horizontal surface and there is friction between the surface and the spool.

But in an example we did in class where a sphere rolls down an incline, the force of static friction was to the left, up the incline and the opposite direction of the way the sphere was rolling.

If you can do arithmetic with negative numbers, you don't actually have to draw vectors in physics diagrams perfectly. If you happen to draw them opposite the way they actually point, you'll get a negative answer for their magnitude. That tells you they point the other way. Of course, it's easier to think about problems if you get the arrows pointed in the right direction to get positive magnitudes.

One approach is to consider what would happen without friction (which may require some thought since we don't encounter such situations in everyday experience). Without friction, a spool on a horizontal surface pulled by a cord unwinding at its top, would just spin "in place". it wouldn't roll along the table. An object going down an inclined plane would slide down instead of rolling. Consider which direction friction must act into produce familiar behavior. Friction would have to move the rolling spool in the direction that the cord is pulling it. Friction on the inclined plane would have to act to make the sphere roll instead of slide.

Last edited:
Stephen Tashi said:
For the spool, I think you mean "the cylinder", not "the sphere". What is causing the friction in that problem? My guess will be that the spool is rolling along a horizontal surface and there is friction between the surface and the spool.
If you can do arithmetic with negative numbers, you don't actually have to draw vectors in physics diagrams perfectly. If you happen to draw them opposite the way they actually point, you'll get a negative answer for their magnitude. That tells you they point the other way. Of course, it's easier to think about problems if you get the arrows pointed in the right direction to get positive magnitudes.

One approach is to consider what would happen without friction (which may require some thought since we don't encounter such situations in everyday experience). Without friction, a spool on a horizontal surface pulled by a cord unwinding at its top, would just spin "in place". it wouldn't roll along the table. An object going down an inclined plane would slide down instead of rolling. Consider which direction friction must act into produce familiar behavior. Friction would have to move the rolling spool in the direction that the cord is pulling it. Friction on the inclined plane would have to act to make the sphere roll instead of slide.
Thank you, thinking of what would happen without friction makes a lot of sense. And thank you to you too A.T., that also makes sense.

In rolling motion, the direction of static friction depends on the direction of the applied force and the direction of the rolling motion. In the example of the spool of wire being unwound, the force pulling at the top of the disk to the right creates a clockwise rotation, while the force of static friction at the bottom also acts to the right to prevent slipping and maintain the rolling motion in the same direction.

In the example of the sphere rolling down an incline, the force of gravity pulling the sphere down the incline creates a counterclockwise rotation. In order to prevent slipping and maintain the rolling motion, the force of static friction acts in the opposite direction, to the left and up the incline.

In general, the direction of static friction in rolling motion will always act in the direction opposite to the rotation of the object, in order to maintain the rolling motion and prevent slipping. This can be determined by considering the direction of the applied force and the direction of the rolling motion.

I hope this helps to clarify the concept of static friction in rolling motion. If you have further questions or need additional clarification, please don't hesitate to ask.

Related to Direction of static friction in rolling motion?

1. What is static friction in rolling motion?

Static friction in rolling motion is the force that opposes the motion of a rolling object on a surface. It is caused by the interaction between the surface and the object, and it prevents the object from slipping or skidding on the surface.

2. Does the direction of static friction change in rolling motion?

Yes, the direction of static friction changes in rolling motion. When the object is rolling forward, the direction of static friction is in the opposite direction of the motion, slowing down the object. When the object is rolling backward, the direction of static friction is in the same direction as the motion, helping to speed up the object.

3. How is the direction of static friction determined in rolling motion?

The direction of static friction in rolling motion is determined by the direction of the rolling motion. If the object is rolling forward, the direction of static friction will be backward. If the object is rolling backward, the direction of static friction will be forward.

4. What factors affect the direction of static friction in rolling motion?

The direction of static friction in rolling motion is affected by the coefficient of static friction between the object and the surface, the weight of the object, and the speed of the rolling motion. A higher coefficient of static friction or a heavier object will result in a stronger static friction force in the opposite direction of the motion, while a higher speed will result in a weaker static friction force in the same direction of the motion.

5. How does the direction of static friction affect the rolling motion of an object?

The direction of static friction plays a crucial role in determining the speed and stability of the rolling motion of an object. If the direction of static friction is not in the opposite direction of the motion, the object may slip or skid, causing a loss of speed and potential instability. Therefore, the direction of static friction must be carefully considered when analyzing the rolling motion of an object.