Direction of pressure on a multiple liquid manometer

In summary: If you are moving upward to get the pressure change, you use a minus sign, and if you are moving downward to get the pressure change, you use a plus sign. This is because pressure increases as depth increases, and decreases as depth decreases.Can you explain again? I don't see what "moving" upwards or downwards means. Does it have to do with the heights?Moving upwards or downwards means moving towards the top or bottom of the figure, respectively. This has to do with the heights of the objects in the figure- the higher the object, the higher the pressure above it.
Sollicitans

Homework Statement

no1KCFJ.jpg

Homework Equations

P=ρgh

The Attempt at a Solution

I already have the solution.

My question is simple. I can't understand how I define the direction of pressure in each "changing" point. I also have the solution if needed.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pressure doesn't have direction.

The pressure is continuous across the interface at each changing point. Is that what you meant?

Chet

Okay, although another lecturer pointed out that pressure should be a vector, I shouldn't mention the word direction - you are right.
If I rephrase it to "how to find out if pressure is positive or negative"? Does it make sense now?

Here's the solution. I can't understand how I define where I put + and where I put -
υδ stand for water, ελ for oil and υδρ for mercury. ρ is density
GbSJfCZ.jpg

Pascal's Law explicitly mentions that " pressure exerted anywhere in a confined incompressible fluid is transmitted equally in all directions throughout the fluid such that the pressure variations (initial differences) remain the same". So, even if pressure did have a direction (it doesn't, it is a dot product of Force and Area on which the force acts) it wouldn't matter if it was positive or negative.

Sollicitans said:
Okay, although another lecturer pointed out that pressure should be a vector, I shouldn't mention the word direction - you are right.
If I rephrase it to "how to find out if pressure is positive or negative"? Does it make sense now?

Here's the solution. I can't understand how I define where I put + and where I put -
υδ stand for water, ελ for oil and υδρ for mercury. ρ is density
GbSJfCZ.jpg
If you are moving downward to get the pressure change, you use a plus sign, and if you are moving upward to get the pressure change, you use a minus sign. This is because pressure increases as depth increases, and decreases as depth decreases.

Tamojit Maiti said:
Pascal's Law explicitly mentions that " pressure exerted anywhere in a confined incompressible fluid is transmitted equally in all directions throughout the fluid such that the pressure variations (initial differences) remain the same". So, even if pressure did have a direction (it doesn't, it is a dot product of Force and Area on which the force acts) it wouldn't matter if it was positive or negative.
Pressure does have direction in the sense that it acts in the direction perpendicular to every surface upon which it acts. This is because, in reality, pressure is an isotropic second order tensor which, when dotted with a normal to the surface, yields a vector (force per unit area) normal to the surface.

Chet

Tamojit Maiti said:

This conversation is off-topic. As a student, I don't have the knowledge to support or disprove my lecturer's opinion.

Chestermiller said:
If you are moving downward to get the pressure change, you use a plus sign, and if you are moving upward to get the pressure change, you use a minus sign. This is because pressure increases as depth increases, and decreases as depth decreases.
Can you explain again? I don't see what "moving" upwards or downwards means. Does it have to do with the heights?

I remember the professor saying we should imagine how the fluid would move if the others weren't there - in case this helps you help me.

I want you to go back to the figure, and label some more heights (distances) in the figure:

Label h4 the distance from the bottom of the h2 section to the point where the tube is joined to be big tank.

Label h5 the distance from the top of h1 to the top of the U tube section containing the oil.

Label h6 the distance from the bottom of h3 to the bottom of the U tube section containing the mercury.

I also want you to label some more pressures on the figure.

Label p3 the pressure at the junction between the tube and the tank.

Label p4 the pressure in the tube at the boundary between the water and the oil.

Label p5 the pressure in the oil at the very top of the U.

Label p6 the pressure in the tube at the boundary between the oil and the mercury.

Label p7 the pressure at the bottom of the U containing the mercury.

Get back with me when you get done with this, and I will help you to continue.

Chet

Here it is. Sorry but I don't have time to make it look more "neat".
KSE38Y5.jpg

Now, I'm afraid you'll explain it a way I possibly won't understand because it may contain information I don't know how to work with. But I will gladly read it carefully, so go on.

OK. But before we begin, please repeat after me: I think I can, I think I can, I think I can,...

I'm going to do part of the problem, show you what to do, and then I'm going to let you continue.

I know that, when I'm in a swimming pool, as I swim down to the bottom, the water pressure increases, and, as I swim back up to the top, the water pressure decreases. So, going from a higher point to a lower point, I get an increase in pressure, and going from a lower point to a higher point, I get a decrease in pressure.

Now, I'm going to start out at point 1, where the pressure is p1. At this location the pressure in the water just near the surface is equal to the air pressure in the head space of the tank. Now, I want to go down to point 3 where the pressure is p3. I know that point 3 is below point 1; the distance below is (h1+h2+h4). Since I have to go downward to get from point 1 to point 3, the pressure at point 3 is:$$p_3=p_1+ρ_{water}g(h_1+h_2+h_4)$$

Next I want to get p4. I know that point 4 is above point 3; the distance above is ##(h_2+h_4)##. Since I have to move upward to get from point 3 to point 4, the pressure at point 4 is:$$p_4=p_3-ρ_{water}g(h_2+h_4)$$
Now I have the pressure at the interface between the water and the oil.

Next, I'm going to move upward through the oil to get the pressure at point 5. I know that point 5 is above point 4; the distance above is ##(h_1+h_5)##. Since I have to move upward to get from point 4 to point 5, the pressure at point 5 is:
$$p_5=p_4-ρ_{oil}g(h_1+h_5)$$

Next, I want to get the pressure at point 6, which represents the interface between the oil and the mercury. Is point 6 above or below point 5? What is the distance between point 5 and point 6? Since I have to move downward to get from point 5 to point 6, is the pressure at point 6 higher or lower than the pressure at point 5? In terms of the pressure at point 5, the density of the oil, and the distance between points 5 and 6, what is the pressure at point 6?

Likes billy_joule
We move downward and the distance is (h1+h2+h5). Pressure at point 6 must be p6=p5 + ρoilg(h1+h2+h5).Is it safe to assume I can do the same for each one of the 3 interface points? See if I'm moving upwards or downwards and use the corresponding sign?

Sollicitans said:
We move downward and the distance is (h1+h2+h5). Pressure at point 6 must be p6=p5 + ρoilg(h1+h2+h5).Is it safe to assume I can do the same for each one of the 3 interface points? See if I'm moving upwards or downwards and use the corresponding sign?
I think you've got it. The last step is to add up all your equations together and see what you get. This will eliminate all the pressures except p1 and p2.

Chet

Chestermiller said:
I think you've got it. The last step is to add up all your equations together and see what you get. This will eliminate all the pressures except p1 and p2.

Chet
Thanks a lot for helping me. I'll come back in case I face another problem :)

Related to Direction of pressure on a multiple liquid manometer

1. What is a multiple liquid manometer?

A multiple liquid manometer is a device used to measure pressure in a closed system. It consists of a U-shaped tube filled with multiple different liquids, each with a known density, to measure the pressure difference between two points in the system.

2. How does the direction of pressure affect a multiple liquid manometer?

The direction of pressure on a multiple liquid manometer determines the direction in which the liquid levels will move. If the pressure is higher on one side, the liquid will move towards the lower pressure side, resulting in an imbalance in the liquid levels.

3. What are the different types of pressure that can be measured with a multiple liquid manometer?

A multiple liquid manometer can measure different types of pressure, including gauge pressure, absolute pressure, and differential pressure. Gauge pressure is measured relative to atmospheric pressure, absolute pressure is measured relative to a perfect vacuum, and differential pressure is the difference in pressure between two points in a system.

4. How does the density of the liquids used in a multiple liquid manometer affect the accuracy of the measurement?

The density of the liquids used in a multiple liquid manometer is crucial in determining the accuracy of the measurement. The density of each liquid must be known and different enough to create a noticeable difference in the liquid levels. If the densities are too similar, the measurement may be inaccurate.

5. Can a multiple liquid manometer be used to measure gases?

Yes, a multiple liquid manometer can also be used to measure gases. However, the gas must be contained in a closed system to accurately measure the pressure difference. The same principles apply, with the liquid levels moving in response to the pressure difference between two points in the gas system.