Direction of polarization for monochromatic wave?

In summary, the electric and magnetic fields for a monochromatic plane wave of amplitude Eo, frequency w, and phase angle zero traveling in the direction from the origin to the point (1,1,1) with polarization parallel to the xz plane are:E(z,t) =E_o\cos(\hat k \cdot \hat r - \omega t) \hat nB(z,t) = \frac{E_o}{c}\cos(\hat k \cdot \hat r - \omega t) ( \hat k
magnesium12

Homework Statement

Write down the (real) electric and magnetic fields for a monochromatic plane wave of amplitude Eo, frequency w, and phase angle zero traveling in the direction from the origin to the point (1,1,1) with polarization parallel to the xz plane.

I understand how to write the equations, I just don't understand how to get the correct direction for the electric and magnetic fields.

Homework Equations

## E(z,t) = E_o\cos(\hat k \cdot \hat r - \omega t) \hat n ##
## B(z,t) = \frac{E_o}{c}\cos(\hat k \cdot \hat r - \omega t) ( \hat k x \hat n) ##
## k = -\frac{\omega}{c} ##
## \hat n \cdot \hat k = 0 ##

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I did:

## \hat n = \hat x + \hat z ##
## \hat k = \frac{\omega}{c} (\hat x + \hat y + \hat z) ##

So I thought that was all I was supposed to do to find the direction, but the solutions manual says these are the actual directions of n and k:

## \hat n =\frac { \hat x - \hat z}{\sqrt{2}} ##
## \hat k = \frac{\omega}{c} \frac{(\hat x + \hat y + \hat z)}{\sqrt{3}} ##

So where did those factors of sqrt(2) and sqrt(3) come from?
I appreciate any help!

Physics news on Phys.org
First, the question asks you to find the unit vector, so the magnitude of the vector which is supposed to be the answer should be unity. Second, you only know that ##\hat{n}## only has components along ##\hat{x}## and ##\hat{z}## but you are not given the length of each component, these are what you should calculate subject to the condition that the length of ##\hat{n}## is unity and that this vector is perpendicular to ##\hat{k}##.

Likes magnesium12
blue_leaf77 said:
First, the question asks you to find the unit vector, so the magnitude of the vector which is supposed to be the answer should be unity. Second, you only know that ##\hat{n}## only has components along ##\hat{x}## and ##\hat{z}## but you are not given the length of each component, these are what you should calculate subject to the condition that the length of ##\hat{n}## is unity and that this vector is perpendicular to ##\hat{k}##.

I don't think I understand.
So I would do
## n = \sqrt(a^2 + b^2)) = 1## Therefore: ##a^2= 1-b^2##
## k = \sqrt(c^2 + d^2 + e^2) = 1##
And then use this somehow:
## \hat n \cdot \hat k = nkcos\theta = 0##
## nkcos\theta = \sqrt((1-b^2) + b^2)\sqrt(c^2 + d^2 + e^2)cos\theta##
But since n = 1 and k =1, wouldn't that just leave me with nothing again?

If ##\mathbf{k}## is denoted such that it has components ##c##, ##d##, and ##e## then they must be known already since the problem tells you that ##\mathbf{k}## goes from the origin to the point (1,1,1). What you don't know yet are just ##a## and ##b##, i.e. two unknowns. You have figured out one equation relating these unknowns, which is
magnesium12 said:
## n = \sqrt(a^2 + b^2)) = 1## Therefore: ##a^2= 1-b^2##
The other equation you need is the orthogonality condition between ##\mathbf{k}## and ##\hat{n}##. To do this, it will be easier with component-by-component multiplication instead of the one like ##kn\cos \theta##.

Likes magnesium12

1. What is the direction of polarization for a monochromatic wave?

The direction of polarization for a monochromatic wave refers to the direction in which the electric field of the wave oscillates. It can be either horizontal, vertical, or at an angle in relation to the direction of wave propagation.

2. How is the direction of polarization determined?

The direction of polarization is determined by the orientation of the electric field vector of the wave. This can be measured using a polarizer, which only allows waves with a specific direction of polarization to pass through.

3. Can the direction of polarization change?

Yes, the direction of polarization can change if the wave interacts with certain materials or passes through certain mediums. This phenomenon is known as polarization rotation.

4. What is the difference between linear and circular polarization?

In linear polarization, the electric field oscillates in a single plane, either horizontally, vertically, or at an angle. In circular polarization, the electric field rotates in a circular motion as the wave propagates.

5. Why is the direction of polarization important?

The direction of polarization is important in many applications, such as in telecommunications, where it is used to transmit and receive signals. It can also affect the behavior of light when interacting with different materials, making it crucial in fields such as optics and imaging.