Direction of Normal Force on Object B: A Scientific Inquiry

In summary, the author is trying to figure out the direction of the normal force exerted on a rod, but is unable to do so because there is no hint provided.
Faiq

Homework Statement

IMG_5049.JPG

The Attempt at a Solution

Can somebody please assist me in finding the direction of the normal force exerted on B? (How is normal force at B also normal to the rod? )

There is no hint provided from which I can conclude the direction of normal force. Can somebody please provide a hint so I can work it out?

P.S

Contact force = Normal force since friction is 0.

Likes KeeLuLeLou
Physics news on Phys.org
If only one has a tangent plane (as in the picture), use that.

Reference https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/frequently-made-errors-mechanics-friction/

Can you please clarify this point?

My confusion regarding this:
Considering the diagram given on the section 1 of the reference page, if we were to move the rod at a very very small angle keeping the contact point constant, the direction of the normal force will remain same but it won't necessarily be perpendicular to the rod.

Faiq said:
I am perfectly aware of this problem and here I am sure I am not making that error.
I do not understand your response. That section tells you how to figure out the direction of the normal force in a point contact like the one in this question. Isn't that what you wanted to know?

Please see the edit.

Faiq said:
if we were to move the rod at a very very small angle, the direction of the normal force will remain same
No, it would move exactly as the rod moves and remain perpendicular. Why not?

Oh. So no matter how the surface of contact is, if my rod is a straight rod the contact force will always be perpendicular to the surface of rod?

But this point will not apply for the edges of the rod right? Because the straightness ends over there?

Faiq said:
if my rod is a straight rod the contact force will always be perpendicular to the surface of rod?
Yes. It follows from the definition of normal force that I give at the start of the section.
Faiq said:
this point will not apply for the edges of the rod right?
It will not apply at the tips, no, because there is no well-defined contact plane there. Generally you will be able to figure out the contact plane from what the tip touches, as in the question above where it rests in the bowl.

Thank you very much.

Related to Direction of Normal Force on Object B: A Scientific Inquiry

1. What is the direction of normal force?

The direction of normal force is always perpendicular to the surface of contact between two objects.

2. Does the direction of normal force change?

Yes, the direction of normal force can change if the angle of the surface of contact changes.

3. How is the direction of normal force determined?

The direction of normal force is determined by the surface of contact and the angle at which the two objects are in contact.

4. Can normal force act in multiple directions?

No, normal force can only act in one direction, perpendicular to the surface of contact.

5. What is the significance of the direction of normal force?

The direction of normal force is important in determining the stability of objects and the motion of objects in contact with other objects.