Direction of current flow in KCL/Node Voltage Confusion

In summary, my teacher posted old homework assignments that are difficult to understand because he labeled currents in different ways. You can choose any direction for the currents and you won't get negative values for the currents after solving the KCL and KVL equations.
Marcin H

Homework Statement

Screen Shot 2016-09-18 at 9.47.03 PM.png

------------------
Screen Shot 2016-09-18 at 9.47.29 PM.png

Homework Equations

V=IR
KCL/Node Voltage

The Attempt at a Solution

These are the solutions to some old homework assignments that my teacher posted, but I am very confused on the way he labeled his current flows in these problems. In the first picture he says that the current from the left branch is flowing into the node. In the second picture he is saying that all currents are flowing out of the nodes. The polaritites in both circuits are the same. Why is it that in the first picture we have current flowing into the node? That would mean current is flowing - to + which is not the conventional way of doing it. Does it have something to do with the dependant current source? Do we treat those differently? Also, why are the polarities on the resistor + to - from left to right?

It seems that in other homework problems it's the same. The source is always the same orientation + - top to bot but the current sometimes goes into the node and sometimes it goes out. HOW DO YOU CHOOSE?? WHAT IS CORRECT? If you choose wrong then your KCL will be different in both cases and you will get a wrong answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Marcin H said:
HOW DO YOU CHOOSE?? WHAT IS CORRECT?
You can choose ANY direction for the currents. If the chosen directions are not correct, you'll get negative values for the currents after solving KCL and KVL equations, which means actual direction is the opposite of chosen direction.

Likes CWatters
cnh1995 said:
You can choose ANY direction for the currents. If the chosen directions are not correct, you'll get negative values for the currents after solving KCL and KVL equations, which means actual direction is the opposite of chosen direction.
In the second example I chose the left branch to have the current going out. So I had the same equation except with one part on the other side. So I had:

(Vx - 5)/3 = Vx/6 + 2x

I assumed that the current is going out for the left branch. Solving for Vx I got something weird like -11/10. The answer in the solutions is Vx = (2/3) V so I did not get the negative of that. I have had this problem several times. I heard that it doesn't matter what direction you choose, but it looks like it does. Why?

Marcin H said:
(Vx - 5)/3 = Vx/6 + 2x
You are using a rule "current out of branch 1 = currents out of all the other branches". We can call this this the Marcin H Rule because no one else has ever heard of it.

I'm positive that you'll have more success by using the much more trendy KCL instead. :smile: Here is one way to express it: Sum of all currents leaving a node = 0

An alternative but equivalent way to express KCL is: Sum of all currents entering a node = 0

⏩ A correct but all-too-easily-confused way is: Sum of the currents entering a node = sum of those currents leaving

Likes CWatters and cnh1995
+1

I also find I make far fewer sign errors if I force myself to write the KVL/KVC equations in the form x + y + z = 0 and not x + y = -z

Related to Direction of current flow in KCL/Node Voltage Confusion

1. What is KCL (Kirchhoff's Current Law) and how does it relate to the direction of current flow?

KCL is one of the fundamental laws in circuit analysis, which states that the sum of currents entering a node must equal the sum of currents leaving the node. This means that the direction of current flow at a node is determined by the algebraic sum of the currents entering and leaving the node.

2. How does KCL help in solving for the direction of current flow in a circuit?

KCL is used to determine the direction of current flow at a node by setting up and solving a system of equations based on the currents entering and leaving the node. By applying KCL at each node in a circuit, the direction of current flow can be determined for the entire circuit.

3. What is the difference between conventional and electron flow in relation to KCL and current direction?

Conventional current flow assumes that current flows from positive to negative, while electron flow assumes that current flows from negative to positive. In terms of KCL, the direction of current flow will be determined based on the chosen convention, but the algebraic sum of the currents will remain the same regardless of the chosen convention.

4. Can there be multiple directions of current flow at a single node?

No, according to KCL, the sum of currents entering and leaving a node must be equal. Therefore, there can only be one direction of current flow at a single node in a circuit.

5. How does the concept of node voltage relate to the direction of current flow in a circuit?

Node voltage is the potential difference between two nodes in a circuit. By using KCL and Ohm's Law, the direction of current flow can be determined based on the difference in node voltage between two adjacent nodes. A higher node voltage indicates that current is flowing towards that node, while a lower node voltage indicates that current is flowing away from that node.