Direction of car's average acceleration vector as it turns

In summary: Which one is this?It's just strange that in Calculus class I didn't have to deal with the bearings. It would be implicitly assumed given that 225 is in the third quadrant and the convention was the +x-axis was the reference point.Actually it is an arbitrary convention common to many calculus classes, that the angle is taken anticlockwise from the +x axis ... just like you commonly use the right-handed Cartesian coordinate system. But that's only a convention and it will not be the same everywhere. Even in calc, different coordinate systems will have different definitions ... spherical polar has two angles for instance.
negation

Homework Statement

A car, initially going east ward, rounds a 90 degree curve and ends up heading southward. If the speedometer reading remains constant, what's the direction of the car's average acceleration.

The Attempt at a Solution

a = Δv/Δt

vi = (c,0)
vf = (0,-c)

(vf - vi )/Δt =(-c,-c)/Δt

Physics news on Phys.org
negation said:

Homework Statement

A car, initially going east ward, rounds a 90 degree curve and ends up heading southward. If the speedometer reading remains constant, what's the direction of the car's average acceleration.

The Attempt at a Solution

a = Δv/Δt

vi = (c,0)
vf = (0,-c)

(vf - vi )/Δt =(-c,-c)/Δt
Is there a question here? This result looks correct. If they are asking for the direction, it's SW.

Likes 1 person
Technically the answer should be given in terms of compass headings.
I agree a question would be nice, then we don't have to guess the issue.

Is it reasonable to guess that time into the corner is equal to time out of the corner?

Simon Bridge said:
Technically the answer should be given in terms of compass headings.
I agree a question would be nice, then we don't have to guess the issue.

Is it reasonable to guess that time into the corner is equal to time out of the corner?

My answer tallies with the book except that instead of SW, I chose my answer in the form of Cartesian coordinate-much more empirical and non-arbitrary to me.

So relative to the East and using the x-axis as East direction, the car is 225°

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    12.8 KB · Views: 1,097
So relative to the East and using the x-axis as East direction, the car is 225°
... do you mean to ask if this is correct?

Do you mean 225deg clockwise or anticlockwise from East?

A compass bearing would be an angle measured clockwise from North, or it would be a name like "due N" or "NNE".

225deg clockwise from due E would be NW - a bearing of -45deg.

It is good practice to put the answer in the same terms that the question used ... so I'd pick "NW" rather than "-45deg" as the more appropriate of the two. It will make a difference to you marks in the coming years and to your employment prospects later.

Cartesian coordinate-much more empirical and non-arbitrary to me.
You seem to things it backwards:
Cartesian coords are arbitrary and non-empirical - compass directions are the result of empirical physical phenomena. This is proved from the fact you can draw cartesian axis in any orientation without much in the way of physical constraints but you don't get to pick the direction the north-seeking pole of the compass needle points.

Note: it helps us to help you if you ask questions: don't make us guess what you want.

Last edited:
Simon Bridge said:
... do you mean to ask if this is correct?

Do you mean 225deg clockwise or anticlockwise from East?

A compass bearing would be an angle measured clockwise from North, or it would be a name like "due N" or "NNE".

225deg clockwise from due E would be NW - a bearing of -45deg.

You seem to things it backwards:
Cartesian coords are arbitrary and non-empirical - compass directions are the result of empirical physical phenomena. This is proved from the fact you can draw cartesian axis in any orientation without much in the way of physical constraints but you don't get to pick the direction the north-seeking pole of the compass needle points.

Note: it helps us to help you if you ask questions: don't make us guess what you want.

Sorry, I mis-typed it. It's 225° from the + x-axis.

That made sense.

Sorry, I mis-typed it. It's 225° from the + x-axis.
Yes. Is this angle clockwise or anticlockwise? When you give this kind of answer in an exam, you have to say.

If you gave the compass direction, instead, it would be clear.
Was my compass direction "NW" correct for the direction of the average acceleration?

Simon Bridge said:
Yes. Is this angle clockwise or anticlockwise? When you give this kind of answer in an exam, you have to say.

If you gave the compass direction, instead, it would be clear.
Was my compass direction "NW" correct for the direction of the average acceleration?

SW.
It's just strange that in Calculus class I didn't have to deal with the bearings. It would be implicitly assumed given that 225 is in the third quadrant and the convention was the +x-axis was the reference point.

Actually it is an arbitrary convention common to many calculus classes, that the angle is taken anticlockwise from the +x axis ... just like you commonly use the right-handed Cartesian coordinate system. But that's only a convention and it will not be the same everywhere. Even in calc, different coordinate systems will have different definitions ... spherical polar has two angles for instance.

Part of the question is testing to see if you can work with different conventions.

Related to Direction of car's average acceleration vector as it turns

1. What is average acceleration and how is it calculated?

Average acceleration is the rate at which an object's velocity changes over time. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time.

2. How does the direction of a car's average acceleration vector change as it turns?

The direction of a car's average acceleration vector changes as it turns because acceleration is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction. As the car turns, the direction of its acceleration vector changes to match the direction of its motion.

3. How is average acceleration different from instantaneous acceleration?

Average acceleration is calculated over a period of time, while instantaneous acceleration is the acceleration at a specific moment in time. Average acceleration takes into account the changes in velocity over time, while instantaneous acceleration only considers the velocity at a single point.

4. Can the direction of a car's average acceleration vector ever be opposite to the direction of its motion?

Yes, the direction of a car's average acceleration vector can be opposite to the direction of its motion. This can happen when the car is slowing down or when it is changing direction, such as during a turn.

5. How does the shape of the car's turn affect the direction of its average acceleration vector?

The shape of the car's turn can affect the direction of its average acceleration vector. If the turn is sharp and the car is accelerating quickly, the direction of the average acceleration vector will be more acute. If the turn is gradual and the car is accelerating slowly, the direction of the average acceleration vector will be more obtuse.