Direction of Angular Velocity (w)

In summary, the direction of the angular velocity vector is determined by the right hand rule, with the axis of rotation being the direction of the thumb. For a top spinning counterclockwise, the angular velocity vector will point upward due to this convention. This can also be understood through the use of the vector cross product, where the direction of the angular velocity is always perpendicular to the plane of rotation. This convention is arbitrary and could be different in other contexts.
cosurfr

Homework Statement

This problem is all conceptual and there is no calculations needed. My question is this:

A top is spinning counterclockwise as seen from above. It is also moving to the right with a linear speed v. What is the direction of the angular velocity vector w=theta/time

I know the answer is upward, I just don't understand why that is?

Does anyone have any explanations for me? Thanks in advance

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Okay think i got it, but if someone would confirm that would be awesome.

Angular vel describes the speed of rotation. The direction of the velocity vector will be along the axis of rotation. Thus since the axis is pointing up, the angular velocity vector points up also.

Thanks again

cosurfr

Well, my best simple explanation is that the direction of the angular velocity follows the right hand rule (curl the fingers of your right hand in the direction of rotation and your thumb points in the direction of the angular velocity). A better explanation involves the angular velocity defined in terms of the vector cross product. The wikipedia page covers this a bit . . . http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_velocity

Edit: Note that the angular velocity is really a psuedo-vector.

Okay I see. So the direction of the ang vel vector is always perpendicular to the plane of rotation. Visually i can see this now. Thanks for the link

cosurfr

By the definition of angular velocity, something spinning counterclockwise has its angular velocity vector pointing up. Why? Because if you rotate a screw or nut counterclockwise, it moves up. This is an arbitrary convention, of course; an alien might have screws threaded the other way and angular velocity vectors defined differently.

Related to Direction of Angular Velocity (w)

1. What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of the rate at which an object rotates or revolves around a fixed axis. It is represented by the symbol w and is measured in radians per second (rad/s).

2. How is angular velocity different from linear velocity?

Angular velocity measures the rate of rotation, while linear velocity measures the rate of change in position. Angular velocity is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, while linear velocity is a scalar quantity, only having magnitude.

3. How is angular velocity calculated?

Angular velocity is calculated by dividing the angle of rotation (in radians) by the time taken to rotate that angle. The formula is w = θ / t, where w is angular velocity, θ is the angle of rotation, and t is the time taken to rotate that angle.

4. What factors affect the direction of angular velocity?

The direction of angular velocity is affected by the direction of rotation and the orientation of the axis of rotation. If the object is rotating clockwise, the angular velocity will be negative, while counterclockwise rotation will result in a positive angular velocity. The orientation of the axis of rotation is determined by the right-hand rule, where the direction of the thumb points in the direction of rotation and the curled fingers point in the direction of the axis.

5. What are some real-world applications of angular velocity?

Angular velocity has various applications in fields such as engineering, physics, and astronomy. It is used in the design of machinery and vehicles, such as cars and airplanes, to ensure smooth and efficient rotation. In physics, it is used to calculate the rotational motion of objects, such as the Earth's rotation around its axis. In astronomy, it is used to measure the rotational velocity of planets and stars.