Direct proof by using if then technique

In summary: But the guess did give something useful, so I know I'm right.In summary, the conversation discusses the question of finding the difference of two perfect squares when a is an integer divisible by 4. It is suggested to write a as (x-y)(x+y) and solve for x and y, which leads to the solution of a = (x+y)(x-y). The conversation also includes a direct proof using the if-then technique and provides a link for further explanation. Finally, there is a discussion about finding x and y such that 2 = x-y and 2k = x+y, which leads to the solution of a = 4k = (k+1)^2 - (k-1)^2
woundedtiger4
Hi all,

I am trying to proof the following question.

If a is an integer, divisible by 4, then a is the difference of two perfect squares

now by the definition of divisibility if 4 divides a then there is a natural number k such that

a = 4k

Can someone how should I do it with direct proof by using if then technique?

Physics news on Phys.org
You want to find ##x## and ##y## such that

[tex]a = x^2 - y^2[/tex]

Now, what if you write

[tex] a = (x-y)(x+y)[/tex]

Does that give you any ideas?

Likes 1 person
micromass said:
You want to find ##x## and ##y## such that

[tex]a = x^2 - y^2[/tex]

Now, what if you write

[tex] a = (x-y)(x+y)[/tex]

Does that give you any ideas?
ahhh got it

proof: if a is divisible by 4 then

4a = (a+1)^2 - (a-1)^2

QED

PS: I have followed the proof method given at http://zimmer.csufresno.edu/~larryc/proofs/proofs.direct.html
Theorem. Every odd integer is the difference of two perfect squares.

Last edited:
woundedtiger4 said:
NO :(

isn't a=a/4 then a = (a/2)^2 - x ?

Why would a = a/4 ??

Anyway, you can always write ##a = 4k##. So we have

[tex]4k = (x-y) (x+y)[/tex]

Does that help? You need to identify some ##x## and ##y## that do that.

woundedtiger4 said:
ahhh got it

proof: if a is divisible by 4 then

4a = (a+1)^2 - (a-1)^2

QED

PS: I have followed the proof method given at http://zimmer.csufresno.edu/~larryc/proofs/proofs.direct.html
Theorem. Every odd integer is the difference of two perfect squares.

Something is not right. You say that ##a## is divisible by ##4## and then you say something about ##4a##. Shouldn't you be giving a decomposition of ##a##?

Likes 1 person
micromass said:
Something is not right. You say that ##a## is divisible by ##4## and then you say something about ##4a##. Shouldn't you be giving a decomposition of ##a##?

Proof:

now by the assumption and definition of divisibility if 4 divides a then there is a natural number k such that

a = 4k =(k+1)^2 - (k-1)^2

QED

PS. is it correct now?

Yes, it's right now! Congratulations!

Likes 1 person
micromass said:
Yes, it's right now! Congratulations!

hehehe thanks a lot

Anyway, it might beneficial to show my solution.

I want to find integers ##x## and ##y## such that

[tex]4k = (x-y)(x+y)[/tex]

So if I find ##x## and ##y## such that

[tex]2 = x-y~\text{and}~2k = x+y[/tex]

then I'm done. So I get

[tex] x = 2 + y~\text{and}~x = 2k -y[/tex]

and thus ##2 + y = 2k - y##, which gives us ## y = k-1 ##. Then I set ##x=(k-1) + 2 = k+1##.

So this gets me that ##4k = (k+1)^2 - (k-1)^2##. This is the same answer you found, but it might be good to see how you can find it.

micromass said:
Anyway, it might beneficial to show my solution.

I want to find integers ##x## and ##y## such that

[tex]4k = (x-y)(x+y)[/tex]

So if I find ##x## and ##y## such that

[tex]2 = x-y~\text{and}~2k = x+y[/tex]

then I'm done. So I get

[tex] x = 2 + y~\text{and}~x = 2k -y[/tex]

and thus ##2 + y = 2k - y##, which gives us ## y = k-1 ##. Then I set ##x=(k-1) + 2 = k+1##.

So this gets me that ##4k = (k+1)^2 - (k-1)^2##. This is the same answer you found, but it might be good to see how you can find it.

How did you set 2=x-y and 2k=x+y ?

woundedtiger4 said:
How did you set 2=x-y and 2k=x+y ?

It's not that ##4k = (x+y)(x-y)## implies ##2=x-y## and ##2k = x+y##. It might be that ##x## and ##y## are different numbers.

But I said: if I can find ##x## and ##y## such that ##2 = x-y## and ##2k = x+y##, then ##4k = (x+y)(x-y)## will be satisfied. So I took a guess about what x and y looked like. It might have happened that the guess didn't give anything useful.

Likes 1 person

Related to Direct proof by using if then technique

1. What is direct proof by using the if then technique?

Direct proof by using the if then technique is a method of proving the validity of a mathematical statement by breaking it down into smaller, simpler statements and showing that each one leads to the next, ultimately leading to the original statement being proven true.

2. How does direct proof by using the if then technique differ from other proof techniques?

Direct proof by using the if then technique differs from other proof techniques such as proof by contradiction or proof by induction in that it focuses on showing the logical progression from one statement to the next, rather than assuming the negation or using a base case and inductive step.

3. What is the general form of a direct proof using the if then technique?

The general form of a direct proof using the if then technique is as follows: "If statement A is true, then statement B is true. Statement A is true, therefore statement B is true."

4. Can direct proof using the if then technique be used for all types of statements?

No, direct proof using the if then technique is typically used for proving conditional statements, where the truth of one statement implies the truth of another statement. It may not be suitable for proving other types of statements, such as biconditional statements.

5. What are some tips for writing a successful direct proof using the if then technique?

Some tips for writing a successful direct proof using the if then technique include: clearly stating the given information and what needs to be proven, breaking the proof down into smaller steps, making logical connections between each step, and using precise and concise language to communicate the proof effectively.