Direct Current Circuits and Kirchoff's rules

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker having trouble with a problem using Kirchoff's rules. They have drawn a diagram and gotten three equations for three unknowns, but keep getting a negative number for the final answers for I1 and I2. The equations come from the conservation of energy rule and three loops, but there seems to be a discrepancy with the sign conventions used. The speaker is seeking guidance to figure out where they may have made a mistake.
biglake
Im having a bit of trouble with some problems using Kirchoff's rules.

The problem states for me to calculate each of the unknown currents: I1, I2, & I3 for the circuit diagram attached.

Now I've drawn my diagram and I've gotten my three equations for three unknowns, but i keep getting a negative number for the final answers for I1 and I2. I3 ends up being way off.

Equations:

1. I3 = I1 + I2
2. 8 = -2.0 I1 – I3
3. 4 = I3 – 2I2
4. 6 = -I1 – I2

The equations come from the following:

1. Conservation of energy rule
2. Top loop
3. Bottom Loop
4. Outside Loop

This is the way that my professor was having us practice them in class.

Using equation #2 and substituting equation #1 into #2 I arrive at the following:

Work:

8 = -2.0I1 – I3
8 = -2.0I1 – (I1 +I2)
8 = -3.0I1 – I2

Then Solving for I2 on equation #4 I got:

I2 = -I1 – 6

Including this into the previous equation I got

8 = -3.0I1 – (-I1 – 6)
8 = -3.0I1 - I1 - 6
8 = -4.0I1 -6
14 = -4.0I1
Dividing
-3.5 = I1

The proper answer is +3.5

Ive worked the problem over and over and I can't seem to see where I got a sign mixed up. If someone could steer me in the right direction I would be very thankful.

Attachments

• figure18.25.jpg
    figure18.25.jpg
    6.4 KB · Views: 525
Physics news on Phys.org
Your first equation does not fit with the other 3 and those last 3 equations use the opposite sign convention of the figure. The main thing with sign conventions is that you stay consistent. I would write KCL looking at the node on the middle right as I1 = I2 + I3 (sum of the currents into the node equals the sum of the currents out of the node). Your 3 loop equations have the signs flipped from what I've got (I wrote out the equations according to the sign conventions given in the diagram).

It seems like you have set up the equations correctly, but there may be a sign error in one of your substitutions. Here are some steps you can take to double check your work:

1. Make sure you are using the correct signs for each component in your equations. For example, if a current is flowing in the opposite direction of your chosen direction, the sign should be negative.

2. Check your substitution for equation #2. It should be: 8 = -2.0I1 - I3. You have written 8 = -2.0I1 - (I1 + I2). This may be where the sign error is occurring.

3. When substituting for I2 in equation #2, you should get: 8 = -2.0I1 - (-I1 - 6). Notice the negative sign before -I1. This should give you the correct answer of +3.5 for I1.

4. Double check your calculations for I2 and I3 using the values you found for I1. If you are still getting a negative answer, there may be an error in your calculations.

5. If you are still having trouble, try using a different method to solve the problem, such as using a matrix or using nodal analysis.

Overall, it's important to be careful with signs and double check your work when solving circuit problems using Kirchoff's rules. It can also be helpful to draw the circuit diagram with the direction of current flow clearly marked to avoid any confusion. Good luck!

Related to Direct Current Circuits and Kirchoff's rules

1. What is a Direct Current (DC) circuit?

A Direct Current (DC) circuit is a closed loop of electrical components that allows the flow of electric current in one direction only. This type of circuit is commonly used in electronic devices such as batteries, solar cells, and power supplies.

2. What are Kirchoff's rules and why are they important in DC circuits?

Kirchoff's rules are two fundamental principles used to analyze DC circuits. The first rule, known as Kirchoff's Current Law (KCL), states that the total current entering a junction in a circuit must equal the total current leaving the junction. The second rule, known as Kirchoff's Voltage Law (KVL), states that the sum of all voltage drops in a closed loop must equal the sum of all voltage rises. These rules are important in DC circuits because they provide a systematic approach to solving complex circuit problems and ensure the conservation of charge and energy.

3. How do you apply Kirchoff's rules in solving DC circuit problems?

To apply Kirchoff's rules in solving DC circuit problems, you must first identify all the junctions and closed loops in the circuit. Then, use KCL to write equations for the currents at each junction and use KVL to write equations for the voltage drops and rises in each closed loop. Finally, solve the resulting system of equations to determine the unknown currents and voltages in the circuit.

4. What is the difference between series and parallel DC circuits?

In a series DC circuit, the components are connected in a single path so that the same current flows through each component. In contrast, in a parallel DC circuit, the components are connected in multiple paths so that the current is divided among them. Series circuits have the same current but different voltages across each component, while parallel circuits have the same voltage but different currents through each component.

5. What are some common applications of DC circuits in everyday life?

DC circuits have numerous applications in everyday life, including powering electronic devices such as smartphones, laptops, and TVs. They are also used in electric vehicles, solar panels, and portable chargers. Additionally, DC circuits are used in household appliances such as refrigerators and washing machines, as well as in lighting systems and power supplies for computers and other electronic equipment.