Dirac Spinor Transformation (Ryder)

It will just involve a slightly different sequence of steps.In summary, the conversation discusses a discrepancy in the representation of the adjoint spinor in Ryder's derivation of a transformation rule for Dirac spinors. While Ryder has written the expression as ## \bar{\psi} \vec{\gamma} \psi ##, it should actually be represented as ## \bar{\psi}=\psi^t \gamma^0 ##. The OP is unsure if this discrepancy affects the subsequent derivation for an infinitesimal rotation, but it is noted that the final result will still be the same.
physstudent.4

Homework Statement

This complies when I type it in my Latex editor, but not on here. If you could either let me know how to fix that or copy and paste what I have into your own editor to help, that'd be great. Thanks!

While Ryder is setting up to derive a transformation rule for Dirac spinors, I have failed to follow one step that is crucial for a subsequent derivation for an infinitesimal rotation. He has (with t representing conjugate transpose):

[ tex ]\bar{\psi} \gamma \psi=( \phi_R^t \phi_L^t ) \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
0 & -\sigma \\
\sigma & 0 \end{array} \right) \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
\phi_R \\
\phi_L
\end{array} \right) [ /tex ]

But I was under the impression the adjoint spinor was represented as
[ tex ]
\bar{\psi}=\psi^t \gamma^0=( \phi_L^t \phi_R^t )
[ /tex ]
since
[ tex ]
\gamma^0=\left( \begin{array}{ccc}
0 & 1 \\
1 & 0 \end{array} \right)
[ /tex ]
If this is the case, the proceeding derivation does not follow.

Homework Equations

Above

The Attempt at a Solution

Above the above

Physics news on Phys.org
physstudent.4 said:

Homework Statement

This complies when I type it in my Latex editor, but not on here. If you could either let me know how to fix that or copy and paste what I have into your own editor to help, that'd be great. Thanks!

While Ryder is setting up to derive a transformation rule for Dirac spinors, I have failed to follow one step that is crucial for a subsequent derivation for an infinitesimal rotation. He has (with t representing conjugate transpose):

[tex]\bar{\psi} \gamma \psi=( \phi_R^t \phi_L^t ) \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
0 & -\sigma \\
\sigma & 0 \end{array} \right) \left( \begin{array}{ccc}
\phi_R \\
\phi_L
\end{array} \right) [/tex]

But I was under the impression the adjoint spinor was represented as
[tex]
\bar{\psi}=\psi^t \gamma^0=( \phi_L^t \phi_R^t )
[/tex]
since
[tex]
\gamma^0=\left( \begin{array}{ccc}
0 & 1 \\
1 & 0 \end{array} \right)
[/tex]
If this is the case, the proceeding derivation does not follow.

Homework Equations

Above

The Attempt at a Solution

Above the above

Just leave out the spaces in [ tex ] and [ /tex ]

I think you are right that Ryder has not written ## \bar{\psi} \vec{\gamma} \psi ## correctly. However, if you continue his derivation of how the expression transforms under an infinitesimal spatial rotation using your correct expression, you will still be led to the same final result.

Last edited:

Related to Dirac Spinor Transformation (Ryder)

1. What is a Dirac spinor transformation?

A Dirac spinor transformation is a mathematical operation that transforms a four-component spinor, which describes the spin of a particle, from one basis to another. It is named after physicist Paul Dirac, who first developed the concept in his work on quantum mechanics.

2. How is the Dirac spinor transformation represented mathematically?

The Dirac spinor transformation is represented by a 4x4 matrix, known as the Dirac gamma matrix, which acts on the spinor in order to rotate it to a different basis. This matrix is composed of four 2x2 blocks, each representing a different aspect of the spinor transformation.

3. What is the significance of the Dirac spinor transformation in physics?

The Dirac spinor transformation is essential in understanding the behavior of spin 1/2 particles, such as electrons and quarks, in quantum mechanics. It is used in mathematical models to accurately describe their spin states and interactions with other particles.

4. How does the Dirac spinor transformation relate to the Dirac equation?

The Dirac spinor transformation is an essential part of the Dirac equation, which describes the behavior of spin 1/2 particles in a relativistic quantum mechanical framework. The transformation is used to manipulate the spinor components in order to solve for the particle's wave function.

5. Are there any practical applications of the Dirac spinor transformation?

Yes, the Dirac spinor transformation has several applications in theoretical physics, particularly in the study of particle physics and quantum field theory. It is also used in the development of new technologies, such as spintronics, which utilize the spin of particles for information processing and storage.