Dirac Principle Value Identity applied to Propagators

In summary, the conversation discusses the equation (4-91) of Itzykson and Zuber (page 189), which involves matrices and delta functions. The expert explains that the appearance of (\displaystyle{\not}{P} + m) in the equation is due to the fact that P/ - m is a matrix, and provides a detailed explanation of how the equation is derived. The conversation ends with a thank you from the other person for the clarification.
maverick280857
Hi,

How is

[tex]\frac{1}{\displaystyle{\not}{P}-m+i\epsilon}-\frac{1}{\displaystyle{\not}{P}-m-i\epsilon} = \frac{2\pi}{i}(\displaystyle{\not}{P}+m)\delta(P^2-m^2)[/tex]

? This is equation (4-91) of Itzykson and Zuber (page 189). I know that

[tex]\frac{1}{x\mp i\epsilon} = \mathcal{P}\left(\frac{1}{x}\right) \pm i\pi\delta(x)[/tex]

But this doesn't seem to give the right hand side of the first equation above. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
maverick280857 said:
Hi,

How is

[tex]\frac{1}{\displaystyle{\not}{P}-m+i\epsilon}-\frac{1}{\displaystyle{\not}{P}-m-i\epsilon} = \frac{2\pi}{i}(\displaystyle{\not}{P}+m)\delta(P^2-m^2)[/tex]

? This is equation (4-91) of Itzykson and Zuber (page 189). I know that

[tex]\frac{1}{x\mp i\epsilon} = \mathcal{P}\left(\frac{1}{x}\right) \pm i\pi\delta(x)[/tex]

But this doesn't seem to give the right hand side of the first equation above. What am I missing?

Thanks in advance!

How does the [itex](\displaystyle{\not}{P} + m)[/itex] appear?

It's because P/ - m is a matrix, and so first you have to write 1/(P/ - m) as (P/ + m)/(P2 - m2).

So in detail,

1/(P/ - m + iε) - 1/(P/ - m + iε) = (P/ + m)[1/(P2 - m2 + iε) - 1/(P2 - m2 - iε)]
= (P/ + m)[-iπ δ(P2 - m2) -iπ δ(P2 - m2)] = (P/ + m)(-2iπ δ(P2 - m2))

Bill_K said:
It's because P/ - m is a matrix, and so first you have to write 1/(P/ - m) as (P/ + m)/(P2 - m2).

So in detail,

1/(P/ - m + iε) - 1/(P/ - m + iε) = (P/ + m)[1/(P2 - m2 + iε) - 1/(P2 - m2 - iε)]
= (P/ + m)[-iπ δ(P2 - m2) -iπ δ(P2 - m2)] = (P/ + m)(-2iπ δ(P2 - m2))

Thanks BillK, that cleared it up!

Related to Dirac Principle Value Identity applied to Propagators

What is the Dirac Principle Value Identity?

The Dirac Principle Value Identity is a mathematical concept used in quantum mechanics to calculate the expectation value of an operator in terms of a propagator. It allows for the calculation of certain quantities that are not defined in the traditional sense, such as the expectation value of the inverse of an operator.

How is the Dirac Principle Value Identity applied to propagators?

The Dirac Principle Value Identity is used to relate the propagator of a system to the expectation value of a given operator. This allows for the calculation of quantities such as the Green's function, which describes the behavior of a system over time, in terms of the propagator.

Why is the Dirac Principle Value Identity important in quantum mechanics?

The Dirac Principle Value Identity is important because it allows for the calculation of certain quantities that are essential in understanding the behavior of quantum systems. It also provides a way to link different mathematical representations of a system, making calculations and predictions more accurate and efficient.

What are some applications of the Dirac Principle Value Identity?

The Dirac Principle Value Identity has many applications in quantum mechanics, including in the calculation of scattering amplitudes, perturbation theory, and the calculation of transition probabilities between quantum states. It is also used in the study of quantum field theory and quantum information theory.

Are there any limitations or criticisms of the Dirac Principle Value Identity?

Some physicists have criticized the Dirac Principle Value Identity for being a mathematically convenient, but physically questionable, method of calculating certain quantities. It also has limitations in its application to systems with non-local interactions. However, it remains a valuable tool in quantum mechanics and has been successfully used in many different areas of research.