Dirac particle in a spherical potential box

In summary, the conversation is about deriving energy eigenvalues for s1/2 states in relativistic quantum mechanics. The author suggests using an approximation technique called perturbation expansion, and specifically expanding the equation in terms of mcR/h. However, the tangent function in the equation requires a different technique called series reversion, which may require additional help or research.
samuelsanches
Hello, I'm studyng relativistic quantum mechanics by the book Relativistic quantum mechanics. Wave equations - Greiner, W. and I'm trying to derive the energy eingenvalues for s1/2 states, so I have the equation that I uploaded with the name eq1.jpg. In the text the author says, "If we assume R0 to be very small mcR/h<<1, we may solve this equation approximately by expanding in terms of mcR/h" (the h is h bar), leading to the table attach with the name table1.jpg, but I tried expanding the tan, and I can't solve that.

Could anyone help me?

A lot of thanks

Attachments

• eq1.jpg
    eq1.jpg
    13.4 KB · Views: 425
  • table1.jpg
    table1.jpg
    23.4 KB · Views: 449
Physics news on Phys.org
to anyone who can help with this!

Hello,

Thank you for your post. It looks like you are working on deriving the energy eigenvalues for s1/2 states in relativistic quantum mechanics. The equation you have uploaded (eq1.jpg) is a bit difficult to read, but I assume it is the Dirac equation for a free particle.

In order to solve this equation for the energy eigenvalues, the author suggests using an approximation when R0 is very small (mcR/h<<1). This is a common technique in physics, known as a perturbation expansion, where we start with a simple solution and then add small corrections to it.

In this case, the author suggests expanding the equation in terms of mcR/h. This means that we can write the solution as a series, where each term is multiplied by increasing powers of mcR/h. The table you have attached (table1.jpg) shows the first few terms in this expansion. As you can see, the first term is just a constant, the second term involves a square root, and the third term involves a tangent function.

Now, you mentioned that you have tried expanding the tangent function and have encountered difficulties. This is because the tangent function is not a simple polynomial, so we cannot simply multiply it by increasing powers of mcR/h. Instead, we have to use a different technique called series reversion, which allows us to expand a function in terms of its inverse function.

I would recommend looking into series reversion techniques, or consulting with your professor or a colleague who may be familiar with this method. It can be a bit tricky to grasp at first, but with practice, you should be able to expand the tangent function and solve for the energy eigenvalues.

I hope this helps. Best of luck with your studies!

Related to Dirac particle in a spherical potential box

1. What is a Dirac particle?

A Dirac particle is a type of elementary particle that obeys the Dirac equation, a relativistic wave equation that describes the behavior of fermions, such as electrons. It was first proposed by physicist Paul Dirac in 1928.

2. What is a spherical potential box?

A spherical potential box is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of particles confined within a spherical region by a potential energy barrier. The potential energy inside the box is constant, while outside the box it is infinite.

3. How is the behavior of a Dirac particle in a spherical potential box different from other particles?

Unlike other particles, a Dirac particle in a spherical potential box exhibits both particle-like and wave-like behavior due to its quantum nature. This means that the particle can exist in multiple energy states simultaneously, and its position and momentum cannot be precisely determined at the same time.

4. What is the significance of studying a Dirac particle in a spherical potential box?

Studying the behavior of a Dirac particle in a spherical potential box can provide insight into the fundamental principles of quantum mechanics, including the wave-particle duality and the uncertainty principle. It also has applications in fields such as condensed matter physics and quantum computing.

5. How is the behavior of a Dirac particle affected by changes in the size of the spherical potential box?

The behavior of a Dirac particle in a spherical potential box is affected by changes in the size of the box. As the size decreases, the energy levels of the particle become more closely spaced, leading to a larger uncertainty in its position and momentum. This is known as the confinement effect and can have significant impacts on the particle's behavior.