Dirac Matrix Property? Possible Book mistake?

In summary, the author is getting careless with the equation he is trying to simplify, and the result is not always correct.
silence11
Dirac Matrix Property? Possible Book mistake? Derive KG from Dirac

I got a copy of QFT demystified and on pg. 89 he says he can write [itex]\gamma_{\nu} \gamma^{\mu} = g_{\nu \sigma} \gamma^{\sigma} \gamma^{\mu} = g_{\nu \sigma} \frac{1}{2} (\gamma^{\sigma} \gamma^{\mu} + \gamma^{\mu} \gamma^{\sigma}) [/itex]

and i am trying to figure out why this is because the only reason I could see why it's true is if [itex]\gamma^{\mu} \gamma^{\nu} = \gamma^{\nu} \gamma^{\mu}[/itex] which for the love of my brain I can't figure out why that would be true, I'm pretty sure it's not. Is this a book mistake. For reference what he is doing is deriving the KG equation starting from Dirac.

on another note, regardless of the answer what i am actually looking for is a derivation of the kg equation starting from dirac, or perhaps the other way around. if someone can point me to that, that is a fine answer as well.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Just guessing here, but isn't [itex]g_{\mu \sigma}[/itex] symmetric, so any antisymmetric terms would cancel?

i don't see what you mean

Yeah, I think what I was thinking isn't relevant after all. If anything, I had thought the gammas anticommute.

silence11 said:
I got a copy of QFT demystified and on pg. 89 he says he can write [itex]\gamma_{\nu} \gamma^{\mu} = g_{\nu \sigma} \gamma^{\sigma} \gamma^{\mu} = g_{\nu \sigma} \frac{1}{2} (\gamma^{\sigma} \gamma^{\mu} + \gamma^{\mu} \gamma^{\sigma}) [/itex]

To prove the formula, you just need to sum over the dummy indices in the right-hand side: remember that the metric tensor [itex]g_{\nu \sigma} [/itex] lowers indices.

I had a look at that book, he's being careless in writing that equation. The important thing is that the term he wants to simplify can be written as ##\gamma^\mu \gamma^\nu \partial_\mu \partial_\nu##. The derivatives here are symmetric in ##\mu\nu##, so we want to compute the symmetric part of

$$ \gamma^\mu \gamma^\nu = \frac{1}{2} \{ \gamma^\mu, \gamma^\nu\} + \frac{1}{2} [\gamma^\mu ,\gamma^\nu].$$

The first term is symmetric, while the second, commutator, part is antisymmetric. The antisymmetric part vanishes when we sum against ##\partial_\mu \partial_\nu##.

The formula in your OP does not hold in general, only in a sum against a symmetric object.

As for deriving the KG equation from the Dirac eq, the method in this book is fine as long as you realize the sloppiness. Usually, we just note that, from

$$ (i\gamma^\mu \partial_\mu - m) \psi =0,$$

we can just compute

$$ 0 = (i\gamma^\mu \partial_\mu + m) (i\gamma^\mu \partial_\mu - m) \psi = - (\partial^\mu\partial_\mu + m^2 ) \psi,$$

which is the KG equation. This is entirely equivalent to the derivation given in the book.

I am sorry, I was not careful enough: indeed, only the first equality is correct.

okie doke, thanks frank.

Related to Dirac Matrix Property? Possible Book mistake?

1. What is the Dirac matrix property?

The Dirac matrix property is a mathematical property that describes the behavior of a set of matrices known as the Dirac matrices. These matrices were first introduced by physicist Paul Dirac in his work on quantum mechanics and are commonly used in theoretical physics.

2. How is the Dirac matrix property used in physics?

The Dirac matrix property is used in various branches of physics, including quantum mechanics, particle physics, and general relativity. It helps describe the behavior of certain physical quantities, such as spin and angular momentum, and is also used in the study of quantum field theory and the Standard Model of particle physics.

3. What is the significance of the Dirac matrix property in quantum mechanics?

The Dirac matrix property plays a crucial role in quantum mechanics as it allows for the description and prediction of the behavior of fundamental particles and their interactions. It is also an essential tool in the development of mathematical models and theories in quantum mechanics.

4. Can there be a mistake in a book discussing the Dirac matrix property?

It is possible that there could be a mistake in a book discussing the Dirac matrix property, as with any scientific text. However, it is important to carefully evaluate the credibility and sources of information in the book before concluding that it contains a mistake.

5. How can I better understand the Dirac matrix property?

To better understand the Dirac matrix property, it is recommended to study the mathematical concepts and principles behind it, such as linear algebra, matrix operations, and complex numbers. Additionally, reading and studying from reputable textbooks and consulting with experts in the field can also aid in understanding this complex property.