Dirac Delta Function: Definition & Samples

In summary, the Dirac Delta Function is a function that has an infinitely large amplitude at zero and zero amplitude everywhere else. It is often used to describe a function that consists of a sequence of samples. The amplitude of a weighted delta function, such as 0.4\,\delta(t), depends on its interval and can be calculated using a distribution. However, there is often confusion about its representation as an integral operator, which can be further explored in a tutorial linked by the speaker.
EngWiPy
Hello,

Dirac Delta Function is defined as the function that its amplitude is zero everywhere except at zero where its amplitude is infinitely large such that the area under the curve is unity.

Sometimes it is used to describe a function consists of a sequence of samples such as:

[tex]g_{\delta}(t)=\sum_{n=-\infty}^{\infty}g(nT)\,\delta(t-nT)[/tex]

How this weighting affect the amplitude? I mean what is the amplitude of [tex]0.4\,\delta(t)[/tex]?

Regards

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Strictly speaking, the delta "function" can only be regarded as a proper function if we regard it as a function of two variables:

1. First variable:
its domain as a set of FUNCTIONS on R, rather than on R itself
2. Second variable:
An INTERVAL of R

The Dirac "function" thus defined is a functional, rather than a standard function.

Thus, given some function f(x), and an interval I lying within the domain of f, we have

D(f,I)=f(0), if 0 is in I
D(f,I)=0, if 0 is NOT in I

This definition makes D in what we call a distribution.

Note that for any f and I, it is utterly trivial to compute D's "values".

Unfortunately, this trivial sampling functional has gained notoriety by improper understanding of how it can be REPRESENTED in terms of an integral operator (typically, as the "limit" of spike functions)

To delve into these issues, you may look at my tutorial:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=73447

Related to Dirac Delta Function: Definition & Samples

1. What is the definition of the Dirac Delta Function?

The Dirac Delta Function, denoted as δ(x), is a mathematical function that is defined as zero for all values of x except at x=0, where it is equal to infinity. It is often referred to as a "function" because it satisfies the properties of a function, but it is not a conventional function in the usual sense.

2. How is the Dirac Delta Function commonly used in physics and engineering?

The Dirac Delta Function is commonly used in physics and engineering to represent a point or impulse in a system. It is used to model phenomena such as point charges, point masses, and instantaneous forces. It is also used in signal processing to represent an infinitely short signal.

3. Can the Dirac Delta Function be graphed?

No, the Dirac Delta Function cannot be graphed in the traditional sense because it is not a continuous function. However, it can be represented by a graph with a vertical line at x=0, with the height of the line approaching infinity.

4. How is the Dirac Delta Function related to the Kronecker Delta?

The Dirac Delta Function and the Kronecker Delta are closely related, but they are not the same. The Kronecker Delta is a discrete function, while the Dirac Delta Function is a continuous function. They both have the property of being equal to 1 when their arguments are equal, and equal to 0 otherwise.

5. What are some real-world applications of the Dirac Delta Function?

The Dirac Delta Function has many real-world applications, including in electrical engineering, signal processing, and quantum mechanics. It is used to model point charges and point masses, to represent impulses in a system, and to describe the behavior of subatomic particles. It is also used in image processing for edge detection and in control systems for feedback control.