Dirac delta; fourier representation

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence of an equivalent to the integral ## \int_{-\infinity}^{\infinity}{e^{ikx}dx}= 2\pi \delta (k) ## when the interval is finite. It is suggested that the solution may be ##\frac{2\pi}{L}##, but it is noted that this is not possible since a cannot lie in the interval [0,L]. The outcome is still ##2\pi\delta(k-a)##, where the integral over the remainder of the domain gives zero. It is suggested to use the transform of the (sin x)/x kind to see what happens.
Physgeek64

Homework Statement

I know that we can write ## \int_{-\infinity}^{\infinity}{e^{ikx}dx}= 2\pi \delta (k) ##

But is there an equivalent if the interval which we are considering is finite? i.e. is there any meaning in ##\int_{-0}^{-L}{e^{i(k-a)x}dx} ## is a lies within 0 and L?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I get the feeling the solution, if one exists, will be in the form ##\frac{2\pi}{L}## but I'm not sure if this is right,

Many thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes.

The outcome is still ##2\pi\delta(k-a)##, though. the integral over the remainder of the domain gives zero. Check out distributions

Edit, sorry, too quick. a can not lie in ##[0,L]##

So you get a transform of the (sin x)/x kind (#6 here). Something that in the limit goes towards a delta function.

BvU said:
Yes.

The outcome is still ##2\pi\delta(k-a)##, though. the integral over the remainder of the domain gives zero. Check out distributions

Edit, sorry, too quick. a can not lie in ##[0,L]##
Why can a not lie in [0,L]?

Physgeek64 said:
But is there an equivalent if the interval which we are considering is finite? i.e. is there any meaning in ##\int_{-0}^{-L}{e^{i(k-a)x}dx} ## is a lies within 0 and L?

To see what happens, why don't you just do the integral? Hint: if you feel uneasy integrating an imaginary exponential, use ##e^{i\theta}= \cos\theta + i \sin\theta##.

Related to Dirac delta; fourier representation

What is the Dirac delta function?

The Dirac delta function is a mathematical function that represents an infinitely narrow and infinitely tall spike at the origin. It is often used in physics and engineering to model point-like sources or idealized impulses.

What is the Fourier representation of the Dirac delta function?

The Fourier representation of the Dirac delta function is a constant value equal to 1 at all frequencies. This means that the Dirac delta function contains all possible frequencies, making it a useful tool for analyzing complex signals and systems.

How is the Dirac delta function related to the impulse response in signal processing?

In signal processing, the impulse response is the output of a system when a Dirac delta function is used as the input. This means that the impulse response shows how a system will respond to a sudden change or impulse in input.

Can the Dirac delta function be integrated or differentiated?

The Dirac delta function is not a traditional function, so it cannot be integrated in the usual sense. However, it can be interpreted as a distribution or generalized function, and certain properties such as differentiation and integration can be defined for it.

What is the significance of the Dirac delta function in quantum mechanics?

In quantum mechanics, the Dirac delta function is used to represent the position states of a particle in a one-dimensional space. It is also used in the Dirac equation, which describes the behavior of relativistic particles such as electrons.