Dipole term in multipole expansion

In summary, the dipole term in a multipole expansion is written as a sum of terms in Legendre polynomials. By defining the dipole moment vector, the potential can be expressed as a scalar product between the dipole moment and the unit vector in the direction of the radius. The cosine term is already present in the original definition and can be seen by considering the angle between the two vectors involved.
assed
Hi.
I'm having some difficult in understanding something about the dipole term in a multipole expansion. Griffiths writes the expansion as a sum of terms in Legendre polynomials, so the dipole term in the potential is writen

[itex]\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon r^{2}}\int r^{'}cos\theta^{'}\rho dv^{'}[/itex]

Then, by defining

[itex]\vec{p}=\int \vec{r}^{'}\rho dv^{'}[/itex]

he writes

[itex]V=\frac{1}{4 \pi \epsilon}\frac{\vec{p}\cdot\hat{r}}{r^{2}}[/itex]

I understood how that's done. My problem is: using the dipole moment vector and doing the scalar product it will usually appear the cossine of an angle in the potential, but it will never appear using the first definition , that is, calculating directly the integral. Maybe I understood something wrong but I can't figure out what. Hope someone helps me. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not sure I understood the question. The cosine is already there in the original definition: it's why the dot product is used below.

##\vec{p}\cdot\hat{r} = \int \vec{r}^{'}\rho dv^{'} \cdot \hat{r} = \int \vec{r}^{'}\cdot \hat{r} \rho dv^{'}##

Griffiths has defined ##\theta'## as the angle between ##\vec{r}## and ##\vec{r}'##, so ##\vec{r}^{'}\cdot \hat{r} = |\vec{r}^{'}|\hat{r}|\cos(\theta') = r'\cos(\theta')##, giving back the original expression. Are you misinterpreting ##\theta'## as the polar angle? Look again at the diagram (Fig. 3.28 in my edition).

Related to Dipole term in multipole expansion

1. What is the dipole term in multipole expansion?

The dipole term in multipole expansion is a mathematical concept used to describe the distribution of electric charge in a system. It represents the net charge separation in a system, and is defined as the first term in the multipole expansion, which includes the contributions from all dipole moments in the system.

2. How is the dipole term calculated in multipole expansion?

The dipole term is calculated by taking the product of the dipole moment vector and the electric field at a given point in space. The dipole moment is a measure of the magnitude and direction of the charge separation in a system, while the electric field is a measure of the strength and direction of the electric force at a point in space.

3. What is the physical significance of the dipole term in multipole expansion?

The dipole term represents the overall polarity of a system, as it takes into account the net charge separation and the direction of that separation. It is an important concept in understanding the electrostatic properties of a system and can be used to describe the behavior of molecules, atoms, and other systems with electric dipoles.

4. How does the dipole term change as a function of distance in multipole expansion?

The dipole term decreases as the distance from the origin increases, following an inverse cube law. This is because the strength of the dipole moment decreases as the distance between the charges increases. However, the direction of the dipole moment remains constant regardless of distance.

5. How is the dipole term related to higher order multipole terms in multipole expansion?

The dipole term is the first term in the multipole expansion, and it is related to higher order terms by a power law. For example, the quadrupole term (which includes contributions from all quadrupole moments) is related to the dipole term by a factor of r^2, where r is the distance from the origin. This relationship holds for all higher order multipole terms in the expansion.