Dipole in electric field, capacitor

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the surface charge density of bound charges on a layer of distilled water in a parallel plate capacitor. The dipole moment of a water molecule was given and it was assumed that all dipole moments were aligned with the electric field. The formula for surface charge density was mentioned, but the problem still remained unsolved.
burak_ilhan
a parallel plate capacitor is filled with a layer of distilled water of 0.3cm tihck. The dipole moment of a water molecule is 6.1*10^(-30) C.M. Assume that the dipole moments of the water molecules are all perfectly aligned with the electric field. What is the surface charge density of bound charges on the surface of the layer of water.(dielectric constant of water:80).

Well, I solved lots of problems like that except with a dipole moment. I don't know where to use that. I tried to use some energy relations but no results. Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
surface charge density [tex]\sigma[/tex]
[tex]\sigma _{bounded} = \sigma _{free} [ 1-\frac{1}{\epsilon _{r}}] [/tex]

Thanks but I know that formula, and I bet everybody knows... I need a way to solve the problem.:)

Related to Dipole in electric field, capacitor

1. What is a dipole in an electric field?

A dipole in an electric field refers to a pair of equal and opposite charges that are separated by a small distance. The electric field produced by a dipole is the result of the interaction between these two charges.

2. How is a dipole created in an electric field?

A dipole is created when there is an imbalance of charges in a neutral object. This can be achieved by bringing a positively charged object close to a neutral object, causing the electrons in the neutral object to shift towards the positively charged object, creating a dipole.

3. What is the role of a dipole in a capacitor?

In a capacitor, a dipole is formed when two conductive plates are placed close to each other. The positive charges on one plate and the negative charges on the other plate create an electric field between them, allowing the capacitor to store electrical energy.

4. How does the electric field affect the dipole in a capacitor?

The electric field in a capacitor causes the dipole to align itself with the field lines. This alignment increases the strength of the electric field between the two plates, leading to a greater capacitance and an increase in the energy stored in the capacitor.

5. Can a dipole be created in a non-uniform electric field?

Yes, a dipole can be created in a non-uniform electric field, but its behavior may differ from that in a uniform field. In a non-uniform field, the dipole may experience a net force and torque, causing it to rotate and move. This can be seen in the behavior of a dipole in a non-uniform capacitor.