Dipole in an Uniform Electric Field concept?

In summary: Let "L" be the length of the dipole from end to end. Now suppose that the center of the mass is not equidistant from both ends of the dipole. Then one end lies "y" units away from the center of mass and the other end must lie "L-y" units away. The net torque on the dipole is the sum of the torques: T = F*y*sin(x) + F*(L-y)*sin(x) = F*y*sin(x) + F*L*sin(x) - F*y*sin(x) = F*L*sin(x). Notice that this result
fallen186

Homework Statement

Dipole in an Uniform Electric Field:
torque is calculated about the position of either charge has the magnitude FLsin(x) = qELsin(x) = pEsin(x). The direction of the torque vector is into the paper such that it tends to rotate the dipole moment vector p so it aligns with the direction of E. The torque can be expressed most concisely as the cross product: T = p x E

I don't know why the magnitude is F * L sin(x) or why qE turns into pE. And I don't understand what the concept iit s trying to tell me. It would also be helpful if someone could explain the hand thing for torque. I understand most of the stuff about torque but not the hand thing.

Homework Equations

x = theta
L = distance between charges in dipole
p = vector of the dipole movement that points from negtive charge to positive.
p =q*L

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
This is all given in a standard textbook. Did you overlook it? Perhaps, the magnitude of the torque may be clearer this way: T = F*L*sin(x) = 2*[F*(L/2)*sin(x)] The L/2 is the distance from the center of the dipole to one of its ends, and since there are two ends that experience a torque in the same direction we multiply by 2. Does this help at all?

buffordboy23 said:
This is all given in a standard textbook. Did you overlook it? Perhaps, the magnitude of the torque may be clearer this way: T = F*L*sin(x) = 2*[F*(L/2)*sin(x)] The L/2 is the distance from the center of the dipole to one of its ends, and since there are two ends that experience a torque in the same direction we multiply by 2. Does this help at all?

Thanks, that does clear things up

After I logged off, I realized that I could have been clearer. My description in the previous post is only valid if the center of the mass is equidistant from both of the ends of the dipole, which may not always be the case. Therefore, it's derivation is a "special" case of the more "general" case. There is a better way to describe the magnitude of the torque.

Let "L" be the length of the dipole from end to end. Now suppose that the center of the mass is not equidistant from both ends of the dipole. Then one end lies "y" units away from the center of mass and the other end must lie "L-y" units away. The net torque on the dipole is the sum of the torques: T = F*y*sin(x) + F*(L-y)*sin(x) = F*y*sin(x) + F*L*sin(x) - F*y*sin(x) = F*L*sin(x). Notice that this result is of the same magnitude as before but we got here by a different route.

Related to Dipole in an Uniform Electric Field concept?

What is a dipole in an uniform electric field?

A dipole in an uniform electric field refers to a system where two equal and opposite charges are separated by a distance. This creates a dipole moment, which is the measure of the strength and direction of the dipole. The uniform electric field is one where the electric field strength is constant throughout the entire space.

How does a dipole behave in an uniform electric field?

In an uniform electric field, a dipole will experience a torque that aligns it with the direction of the electric field. This torque is strongest when the dipole is perpendicular to the field and becomes zero when the dipole is parallel to the field. The dipole will also experience a net force in the direction of the field.

What is the formula for calculating the torque on a dipole in an uniform electric field?

The formula for calculating the torque on a dipole in an uniform electric field is τ = pE sinθ, where τ is the torque, p is the dipole moment, E is the electric field strength, and θ is the angle between the dipole moment and the electric field vector. This formula is based on the cross product between the dipole moment and the electric field vector.

What is the significance of the dipole moment in an uniform electric field?

The dipole moment is a measure of the strength and direction of the dipole in an uniform electric field. It is a vector quantity and is useful in determining the behavior of the dipole in the presence of the electric field. The dipole moment also plays a crucial role in many other physical phenomena, such as polar molecules and electromagnetic radiation.

Can a dipole experience translational motion in an uniform electric field?

No, a dipole cannot experience translational motion in an uniform electric field. This is because the net force on the dipole is zero since the electric field is uniform throughout the space. However, the dipole can experience rotational motion due to the torque exerted by the electric field.