Dipole (electrical) and Electric Field Concept

In summary, the conversation discusses the direction of electric fields in relation to dipoles and their placement on the x-y plane. It is determined that the direction of the electric field at a point on the dipole axis will be parallel to the z-axis, while the field at a point on the x-y plane bisecting the dipole will also be parallel to the z-axis. This is due to the principle of superposition and the placement of the dipole axis. There is also a mention of a misunderstanding of the textbook's explanation.
wk1989
Hi all, I'm kind of confused right now about some concepts.

- Dipoles are essentially point charges of the same magnitude but different signs that are a certain distance away from each other, right?

-In my textbook, they were calculating a charged particle that is on the dipole axis. They got an a E that is in the direction of z (as opposed to x/y). Why is the direction of the electric field at the point P (on the dipole axis) z? The charges of the dipole and the charge at P are all on x, y plane, unless I misunderstood something.

-However, in earlier examples with charges on the same plane with other charges, the E they got was restricted in the x,y plane.

Why is this so? Am I missing something?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
If the dipole axis is in the direction of z, then the field at a point on the axis will also point along the z direction. You can understand this using the principle of superposition. Work out what the field due to each charge will be and add them (vector addition).

The dipole axis is a line going through both charges. If that axis is the z-axis, then the field at some point along the z-axis will be parallel to the z-axis. On the other hand, the field at some point on the x-y plane that bisects the dipole (assume the dipole is at z = 0) will also be parallel to the z-axis.

(dx beat me too it!)

Never mind, I misunderstood what the textbook was saying, thanks for the input though.

Related to Dipole (electrical) and Electric Field Concept

1. What is a dipole in electrical terms?

A dipole is a pair of equal and opposite charges separated by a small distance. This separation creates an electric field between the charges, causing them to interact with each other and with other charged particles in their vicinity.

2. How does a dipole contribute to the overall electric field?

A dipole's electric field is the vector sum of the individual electric fields created by each charge. This means that the dipole's electric field is stronger than that of a single charge and can extend farther into space.

3. What is the difference between an electric dipole and a magnetic dipole?

An electric dipole has two opposite charges, while a magnetic dipole has two opposite poles. Additionally, electric dipoles interact with electric fields, while magnetic dipoles interact with magnetic fields.

4. How can a dipole be induced in a neutral object?

A dipole can be induced in a neutral object by bringing it near a charged object. The charged object's electric field will cause the neutral object's charges to separate, creating a dipole.

5. How is the strength of an electric field measured?

The strength of an electric field is measured in units of newtons per coulomb (N/C), also known as volts per meter (V/m). This represents the force exerted on a unit charge placed in the field.