Diploma to Degree in Civil Engineering?

In summary, the conversation discusses the dilemma of whether it is worth it for someone with a Civil engineering Technology Diploma to go back to university for a civil engineering degree. The person suggests checking the licensing regulations in their area, as well as job postings and labor bureau information to compare salaries between licensed engineers and technicians. Ultimately, the decision is left up to the individual, but it is noted that engineers tend to make more than technicians at the same level.
R.Wong
Hi, I'll be graduating this year obtaining my Civil engineering Technology Diploma, but i wasn't sure if i should go back to university to get a degree in civil engineering. Is an extra 4 years worth all the trouble? Would the pay be that much of a difference? Couldn't a Civil Tech make as much as a Civil Eng with many years of experience? Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
R.Wong said:
Hi, I'll be graduating this year obtaining my Civil engineering Technology Diploma, but i wasn't sure if i should go back to university to get a degree in civil engineering. Is an extra 4 years worth all the trouble? Would the pay be that much of a difference? Couldn't a Civil Tech make as much as a Civil Eng with many years of experience.
Find out what the licensing regulations are where ever you are. If you can get licensed with your tech diploma, it's probably not worth the trouble, but laws are wonky. In my state, a graduate from an ABET accredited program needs about 4 years experience to get his PE, someone from a non abet grad needs 12 or so. But a non abet-grad also needs a couple of years of experience just to take the FE, which the abet-grad doesn't.

story645 said:
Find out what the licensing regulations are where ever you are. If you can get licensed with your tech diploma, it's probably not worth the trouble, but laws are wonky. In my state, a graduate from an ABET accredited program needs about 4 years experience to get his PE, someone from a non abet grad needs 12 or so. But a non abet-grad also needs a couple of years of experience just to take the FE, which the abet-grad doesn't.

Does license means you can stamp?

R.Wong said:
Does license means you can stamp?
I don't know what that means. In the United States, you need a licensed engineer to sign off on a construction project before you can build just about anything.

Your profile says that you're in Canada, and looks like the regulations there are similar to the states. engineering in Canada info sheet

Last edited:
story645 said:
I don't know what that means. In the United States, you need a licensed engineer to sign off on a construction project before you can build just about anything.

Your profile says that you're in Canada, and looks like the regulations there are similar to the states. engineering in Canada info sheet

Yeah that's what i meant by stamping.
I believe this year they implemented something in Alberta allowing engineering techs to be licensed as a P.Tech after about 10-12 years of experience, plus you must right an exam in order to get the P.Tech license.
If that's the case would the salary between the two P.Eng and P.Tech be similar? =/

R.Wong said:
If that's the case would the salary between the two P.Eng and P.Tech be similar? =/
Check the Canadian labor bureau, and job postings online, but from what I'm finding in the states, engineers almost always make more than technicians at the same level.

story645 said:
Check the Canadian labor bureau, and job postings online, but from what I'm finding in the states, engineers almost always make more than technicians at the same level.

Alright. Thanks a lot for your help, i decided to go back to school to get my degree =]

Related to Diploma to Degree in Civil Engineering?

1. What is the difference between a diploma and a degree in civil engineering?

A diploma in civil engineering is typically a 2-3 year program that focuses on the practical application of engineering principles and prepares students for entry-level jobs in the field. A degree in civil engineering, on the other hand, is a 4-year program that includes more in-depth theoretical and technical coursework and prepares students for higher-level positions and advanced studies.

2. Can I transfer my diploma credits towards a degree in civil engineering?

It depends on the specific program and institution. Some colleges and universities may accept transfer credits from a diploma program towards a degree, while others may not. It's best to check with the institution you plan on attending for their specific transfer policies.

3. Is a diploma or a degree in civil engineering better for career opportunities?

Both a diploma and a degree can lead to successful careers in civil engineering. However, a degree may provide more job opportunities and potential for advancement, as it offers a more comprehensive education and a deeper understanding of the field.

4. What types of courses are typically included in a degree in civil engineering?

A degree in civil engineering will typically include courses in mathematics, physics, mechanics, structural analysis, geotechnical engineering, transportation engineering, and construction management, among others. It may also include hands-on laboratory work and a final capstone project.

5. Can I specialize in a specific area of civil engineering with a degree?

Yes, many degree programs offer specializations or concentrations within civil engineering, such as structural engineering, environmental engineering, or transportation engineering. This allows students to focus their studies and develop expertise in a particular area of interest.