Diode Circuit ON/OFF Model Problem

In summary, the conversation discusses a circuit problem where the value of Vx needs to be determined. The solution involves considering different cases, such as D1 being forward biased and D2 being forward biased. It is suggested to start by assuming Vx=2.3 V and calculating the current through R1, which must also flow through R2. If the minimum voltage for Vx is greater than 2.3V, then the assumption that D2 is ON is incorrect. Alternatively, if D2 is off, the problem becomes simpler.
Shaunzio

Homework Statement

T2r13.png

Homework Equations

When Diode is on Vd=0.7 V and Id=0
When Diode is off Vd<0.7 and Id>0

The Attempt at a Solution

I've been working on this problem for hours now but I just can't logic it out properly. I know the right model is supposed to be D1 ON and D2 OFF, but I can't figure out why or what the value of Vx is. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Shaunzio. You need to consider all possibilities, taking one at a time.

Case (1). D1 is forward biased, D2 is forward biased.
With D2 forward biased, what value does that make Vx?
With that value for Vx, how much current is going through R2, and in what direction?
And so on ... until you are satisfied you have uniquely determined all circuit parameters.

Case (2). ...

I think there is a slightly shorter method in this case...

I'd start by looking at the case with D2 ON. For D2 to be ON the voltage Vx must be < 3V-0.7 - 2.3V

Try assuming Vx=2.3 V and calculate the current that would flow through R1. That current must also be flowing through R2 (it can't flow the wrong way through D2) so it sets a minimium voltage for Vx. If that's greater than 2.3V then the assumption that D2 is ON is incorrect.

If V2 is off the problem simplifies greatly.

Related to Diode Circuit ON/OFF Model Problem

1. What is a diode circuit ON/OFF model problem?

A diode circuit ON/OFF model problem refers to a common issue in electronic circuits where the diode, a semiconductor device that allows current to flow in only one direction, fails to turn ON or OFF as expected. This can cause unexpected behavior in the circuit and can be challenging to troubleshoot.

2. What are the causes of a diode circuit ON/OFF model problem?

The most common cause of a diode circuit ON/OFF model problem is a faulty or damaged diode. Other possible causes include incorrect polarity, improper connections, or a malfunctioning power supply.

3. How do you diagnose a diode circuit ON/OFF model problem?

To diagnose a diode circuit ON/OFF model problem, you can use a multimeter to test the diode for continuity and check for any damage or incorrect polarity. You can also use a circuit simulator software to simulate the circuit and identify any potential issues.

4. How can a diode circuit ON/OFF model problem be fixed?

Fixing a diode circuit ON/OFF model problem depends on the specific cause. If the diode is faulty, it will need to be replaced. If there are other issues such as incorrect polarity or connections, these can be corrected by double-checking the circuit design and making necessary changes.

5. How can I prevent diode circuit ON/OFF model problems?

To prevent diode circuit ON/OFF model problems, it is essential to use high-quality diodes and ensure that they are properly rated for the circuit. Additionally, double-checking the circuit design and connections can help prevent any potential issues. Regular maintenance and testing can also help identify and address any problems before they become more significant issues.