Diode Analysis and Thevenins Theorem

In summary, the student is trying to find the Thevenin equivalent for a circuit with three resistors, but is making mistakes. He starts by finding the Thevenin equivalent for the first section of the circuit, but does not complete the operation before applying the partial result to the next section. He is then incorrectly applying voltage division even though the current through the resistors is different.
CoolDude420

Homework Statement

52447d86df.jpg

6d2b5228c4.jpg

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

6dcdc0497a.jpg

10f0c5e909.jpg

The correct answer is 0.25V. I'm getting 0.3335V[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Check your Thevenin voltage derivation.

gneill said:
Check your Thevenin voltage derivation.
ce48b4b3b8.jpg

I tried it again, same answer.

Still incorrect. You're mucking up after the first stage when you apply the voltage division with the 500 Ohm resistor. Take the circuit one stage at a time:
upload_2017-3-17_21-29-56.png

First break the circuit at (1) and find the Thevenin equivalent. What do you find?

gneill said:
Still incorrect. You're mucking up after the first stage when you apply the voltage division with the 500 Ohm resistor. Take the circuit one stage at a time:
View attachment 114680

First break the circuit at (1) and find the Thevenin equivalent. What do you find?
5b439f321f.jpg

No. There are three resistors involved and you haven't dealt with the voltage divider. A Thevenin model consists of a voltage source with a series resistance and does not form a closed loop!

gneill said:
No. There are three resistors involved and you haven't dealt with the voltage divider. A Thevenin model consists of a voltage source with a series resistance and does not form a closed loop!
e99ade4e12.jpg

my apologies, is this fine

No. How do you arrive at 2 kΩ? How come the original 2 V hasn't been divided by the voltage divider consisting of the two 1 kΩ resistors? This is the circuit that you are starting with for this first part:

upload_2017-3-17_21-53-34.png

Apply the procedure to find its Thevenin equivalent.

gneill said:
No. How do you arrive at 2 kΩ? How come the original 2 V hasn't been divided by the voltage divider consisting of the two 1 kΩ resistors? This is the circuit that you are starting with for this first part:

View attachment 114681

Apply the procedure to find its Thevenin equivalent.
f60c8137dd.jpg

Right!

Now tack on the next stage and repeat:

upload_2017-3-17_22-10-46.png

What's the Thevenin equivalent for the terminals at (2)?

gneill said:
Right!

Now tack on the next stage and repeat:

View attachment 114682
What's the Thevenin equivalent for the terminals at (2)?

Ah. I seem to have gotten it now. Thank you, not entirely sure why my method that I did initially to find Vth is wrong.

CoolDude420 said:
Ah. I seem to have gotten it now. Thank you, not entirely sure why my method that I did initially to find Vth is wrong.
Great.

You were doing something strange with 1.5 kΩ that I couldn't see the reasoning behind. It's best to either break the circuit up into discrete stages and proceed methodically, or apply something like mesh or nodal analysis when you want to do it all at once.

gneill said:
Great.

You were doing something strange with 1.5 kΩ that I couldn't see the reasoning behind. It's best to either break the circuit up into discrete stages and proceed methodically, or apply something like mesh or nodal analysis when you want to do it all at once.

9a0db1136a.jpg

Okay, I've written in detail to what my approach was. I have a feeling that I'm neglecting that extension of A-B at the right and assuming no current flows? But isn't that what I'm meant to do. I mean Vth is the open circuit voltage?

I think I see my mistake. I'm applying voltage division even though the current through the resistors is different.

CoolDude420 said:
Okay, I've written in detail to what my approach was. I have a feeling that I'm neglecting that extension of A-B at the right and assuming no current flows? But isn't that what I'm meant to do. I mean Vth is the open circuit voltage?
The problem is that you started finding the Thevenin equivalent for the first section of the circuit and did not complete the operation before you applied the partial result to the next section. Your paragraph labelled (2) assumed that the 1 V first Thevenin voltage would be expressed across the first vertical 1 k resistor and hence would be applied to the following section's voltage divider consisting of the 500 Ω resistor and 1k Ω resistor. That was an error. The 1 V should be behind a 1 kΩ series resistor (the Thevenin resistance of the first stage) that includes the 500 Ω resistor.

gneill said:
The problem is that you started finding the Thevenin equivalent for the first section of the circuit and did not complete the operation before you applied the partial result to the next section. Your paragraph labelled (2) assumed that the 1 V first Thevenin voltage would be expressed across the first vertical 1 k resistor and hence would be applied to the following section's voltage divider consisting of the 500 Ω resistor and 1k Ω resistor. That was an error. The 1 V should be behind a 1 kΩ series resistor (the Thevenin resistance of the first stage) that includes the 500 Ω resistor.
Thanks!

Related to Diode Analysis and Thevenins Theorem

1. What is a diode?

A diode is a two-terminal electronic component that allows electric current to flow in only one direction. It acts as a one-way valve for electricity, allowing current to flow from the anode (positive terminal) to the cathode (negative terminal) but not in the reverse direction.

2. How does a diode work?

A diode is made of a semiconductor material, usually silicon, with impurities added to create a p-type and n-type region. When a voltage is applied across the diode in the forward direction, the p-n junction allows current to flow. However, in the reverse direction, the p-n junction acts as an insulator and prevents current flow.

3. What is Thevenin's Theorem?

Thevenin's Theorem is a theorem in circuit analysis that states any linear network with voltage and current sources can be replaced by an equivalent circuit consisting of a single voltage source in series with a single resistor. This is helpful in simplifying complex circuits and determining the behavior of a circuit at a specific point.

4. How is Thevenin's Theorem used in diode analysis?

In diode analysis, Thevenin's Theorem can be used to simplify a circuit and determine the voltage and current at a specific point. The diode can be replaced by its equivalent circuit consisting of a voltage source (Vd) and a resistor (Rd). This allows for easier calculation of the diode's behavior without having to consider the rest of the circuit.

5. What are the limitations of Thevenin's Theorem in diode analysis?

Thevenin's Theorem assumes that the circuit is linear, meaning that the voltage-current relationship is constant. However, diodes have a nonlinear voltage-current relationship, so the theorem may not be accurate in all cases. Additionally, Thevenin's Theorem does not take into account the effects of temperature and aging on the diode, which can also affect its behavior.