D'Inverno page 226 (tidal force on freely falling particle )

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty in deducing the final three equations describing the tidal forces on a freely falling particle in the Schwarzschild metric. The conversation mentions the need to transform the Schwarzschild components of the Riemann tensor to the frame of the hovering observer and then boost to the frame of the freely falling observer. The use of the orthonormal frame is also discussed.
shahram.t
Hi every body,
I am new to PF so I apologise if a similar thread already exists.
I am reading d'Inverno Introducing Einstein's Relativity. On page 226 describes tidal forces on freely falling particle in Schwarzschild metric, I tried to deduce step by step but I can't get final three equations !?
Starting from relativistic equations of deviation how can I get differential equations of spatial motion ?!

Physics news on Phys.org
shahram.t said:
Hi every body,
I am new to PF so I apologise if a similar thread already exists.
I am reading d'Inverno Introducing Einstein's Relativity. On page 226 describes tidal forces on freely falling particle in Schwarzschild metric, I tried to deduce step by step but I can't get final three equations !?
Starting from relativistic equations of deviation how can I get differential equations of spatial motion ?!

Welcome to Physics Forums!

It's not completely trivial. Notice that d'Inverno writes "see Misner, Thorne, and Wheeler, for further details."

The orthonormal frame that d'Inverno gives on page 225 is not the orthonormal frame of the freely falling observer, it is the orthonormal frame of a hovering observer. The idea is to transform the Schwarzschild components of the Riemann tensor to frame of the hovering observer, and then to boost to the frame of the freely falling observer. See pages 821-822 of MTW.

I wrote a little about the hovering and freely falling frames in

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=848684#post848684.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for your help George !

Related to D'Inverno page 226 (tidal force on freely falling particle )

What is the definition of tidal force?

The tidal force is the difference in gravitational pull between two points on an object caused by the unequal distribution of mass within the object.

How does tidal force affect a freely falling particle?

Tidal force does not affect a freely falling particle because the particle is not under the influence of any external forces, including the tidal force.

What is the formula for calculating tidal force on a freely falling particle?

The formula for calculating tidal force is F = G * M * m / r^3, where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger object, m is the mass of the smaller object, and r is the distance between the two objects.

What is the relationship between tidal force and distance from the center of mass?

The tidal force decreases as the distance from the center of mass increases. This means that objects closer to the center of mass experience a stronger tidal force than objects farther away.

Can tidal force cause an object to break apart?

Yes, tidal force can cause an object to break apart if the difference in gravitational pull between different parts of the object is too great. This is known as tidal disruption and is often seen in celestial bodies such as moons and comets.