Dimensions of Force, Pressure: F, p

• Thread starter you_of_eh
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Impossible
In summary, the dimensions of force can be represented by M*L/T^2 and the dimensions of pressure can be represented by M*L^-1*T^-2.
you_of_eh
From the following defining equations, determine the dimensions of the names physical quantities. Use L to represent the dimension length (distance), T to represent time and M to represent mass.

a) force, F: F=ma, (where m is mass and a is acceleration)
b) pressure, p: p=F/A, (where F is a force (see previous question) and A is an area)

-I can't even attempt to solve this question as I have no idea what the question is asking for.

Physics news on Phys.org
The question is asking you to write force and pressure all in terms of the units L, T, and M. So for example, velocity is L/T.

OK so..

a) would be.. F=M(deltaL/deltaT) ?
b) how can I define A using only L, M or T?

No. Think about what you have written for force. That is saying that force is equal to mass times velocity. That is not correct. For part b, an area is simply two dimensions of length.

I still don't think I understand because this does not seem correct but..

a) F=M*d(L/T)/dT ?
b) p=M*d(L/T)/dT/L^2 ?

Related to Dimensions of Force, Pressure: F, p

1. What is force?

Force is a physical quantity that describes the interaction between two objects. It can be defined as a push or pull that causes an object to accelerate or change its state of motion.

2. How is force measured?

Force is measured in Newtons (N) using a tool called a spring scale or a force meter. One Newton is equal to the force required to accelerate a mass of one kilogram at a rate of one meter per second squared.

3. What is pressure?

Pressure is the amount of force applied per unit area. It is a scalar quantity that describes the intensity of a force distributed over an area.

4. What is the formula for pressure?

The formula for pressure is P = F/A, where P is pressure, F is force, and A is the area over which the force is applied. This means that as the area decreases, the pressure increases, and vice versa.

5. How are force and pressure related?

Force and pressure are directly related, as an increase in force will result in an increase in pressure if the area remains constant. This is because the same amount of force is being applied over a smaller area, causing a higher intensity of force or pressure.