What are the most popular infomercial products?

• Thread starter Greg Bernhardt
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various classic and memorable infomercials, including the "Set it and forget it" Q-Ray Bracelett, the infamous "Hosy Cow" lawn sprinkler, and other products like the Bowflex and a computer program that claims to increase reading speed. Chuck Norris's endorsement of a machine that uses ropes to build muscles is also mentioned. The conversation also notes that infomercials are referred to as commercials in the UK and other parts of Europe.
Here are mine:

The Internet Treasure Chest
Q-Ray Bracelett
"Set it and forget it!"

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by Greg Bernhardt
..."Set it and forget it!"
haha, that ones a classic, I also really like the chef tony knife ones, and a very rare but hillarious "hosy cow" infomercial. You've probably never heard of the hosy cow but it was pretty much a big lawn sprinkler in the shape of a cow. You stuffed a hose up its butt and turned it on and the tail would fly all over the place and spray water, it was supposed to be a toy. It did make an infamous appearance on the late show with david letterman for about a week while he made fun of it saying that you could "watch it urinate on your children."

Any by Don Lapre are classics too. What a creep!

set it and forget it is so classic but i hate him so much...the bow flex ofcourse and that computer program that makes you read faster...or dose it?

Originally posted by The Grimmus
set it and forget it is so classic but i hate him so much...the bow flex ofcourse and that computer program that makes you read faster...or dose it?

Even better then bowflex is that one with chuck norris on that lame thing with the ropes and that you pull yourself on. He's all like oh it makes me so strong and look at these people that's gots these watermelons sized muscles just by using little strings on my machine. Go buy it now. Classic

Infomertials are called commertials in the U.K.

And I do believe else-where in europe also.

1. What makes infomercials effective in selling products?

Infomercials are effective in selling products because they use persuasive tactics such as emotional appeals, celebrity endorsements, and before-and-after demonstrations to capture the attention of viewers and create a sense of urgency to buy the product.

2. How do I know if the claims made in an infomercial are true?

Infomercials are regulated by the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and must comply with advertising laws. They are required to have scientific evidence to support their claims and cannot make false or misleading statements. It is important to do your own research and read reviews before making a purchase.

3. Are the products in infomercials worth the money?

This depends on the individual product and its effectiveness. Some infomercial products may be worth the investment, while others may not live up to their claims. It is important to do your own research and read reviews before making a purchase.

4. Can I trust the testimonials in infomercials?

Testimonials in infomercials are often from paid actors or individuals who have received the product for free in exchange for their testimonial. It is important to take these testimonials with a grain of salt and do your own research before making a purchase.

5. Are there any risks associated with buying products from infomercials?

As with any purchase, there is a risk involved. Some infomercial products may not work as well as advertised, or may not work at all. It is important to read reviews and do your own research before making a purchase to minimize any potential risks.