Dimensional Analysis: Which Equations are Correct?

In summary: So in this case, [L][T]^{-1} would be the length of the left side of the bracketed equation, and [L][T]^{-2} would be the length of the right side of the bracketed equation.So in summary, the student has attempted to solve a problem using three equations that express a and v as dimensions. All that is needed is the third equation that expresses position x as dimensions. The student has successfully solved the problem using this dimensional analysis.
Yousufshad

Homework Statement

In a desperate attempt to come up with an equation to use during an examination, a student tries the following equations. Use dimensional analysis to determine which of these equations could be correct. Here x, v, and a, are the position, velocity and acceleration.

1. v2=ax
  2. a=v2/x
  3. x=v2/a
  4. a=xv2
  5. x=av2
  6. v=ax
  7. v=a/x
  8. x=av
  9. a=xv
  10. v=a/t
  11. v=at
  12. v=t/a
  13. a=v/t
  14. t=av
  15. t=v/a
  16. t=a/v
  17. a=t/v

Homework Equations

a=d/t^2
v=d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

This dimensional analysis thing is really killing me, I understand that the units have to match, that's about it I got out of my textbook and some youtube videos. How about to I apply that to solve this problem (T/F)

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, you've got two equations that express a and v as dimensions (ie in terms of d and t). All you need is the third that expresses position x as dimensions, which is of course x = d.

So now use those three equations to substitute everywhere for x, a and v into the list of 17 equations. The ones that balance (ie when both sides are the same when simplified) are possible. The others are not.

Yousufshad said:

Homework Statement

In a desperate attempt to come up with an equation to use during an examination, a student tries the following equations. Use dimensional analysis to determine which of these equations could be correct. Here x, v, and a, are the position, velocity and acceleration.

1. v2=ax
  2. a=v2/x
  3. x=v2/a
  4. a=xv2
  5. x=av2
  6. v=ax
  7. v=a/x
  8. x=av
  9. a=xv
  10. v=a/t
  11. v=at
  12. v=t/a
  13. a=v/t
  14. t=av
  15. t=v/a
  16. t=a/v
  17. a=t/v

Homework Equations

a=d/t^2
v=d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

This dimensional analysis thing is really killing me, I understand that the units have to match, that's about it I got out of my textbook and some youtube videos. How about to I apply that to solve this problem (T/F)

Welcome to the PF.

The dimension of position is meters [m]. The dimension of velocity is meters per second [m/s]. The dimension of acceleration is meters per second squared [m/s^2].

The dimensions of the lefthand side (LHS) and the RHS must match. Multiply and divide dimensions the same way you multiply and divide numbers. If you end up with [m]/[m], those units cancel. If you end up with [m/s]/[m], you cancel the [m] units in the numerator and denominator, and are left with units of 1/[seconds], which is the same as Hz (Hertz, which is the unit of frequency, 1/[seconds]).

Does that help? Can you now show us the dimensions for the LHS and RHS for each of the questions in your post? :smile:

The idea is to replace each variable with its fundamental units and see if the resulting equation balances. Fundamental units include:
[L] = Length
[M] = Mass
[T] = Time

So, for example, your first equation becomes:

##v^2 = a x \rightarrow ([L] [T]^{-1})^2 = [L][T]^{-2} [L]##

Do the algebra and see if it balances. Then see if you can do the rest.

Piling on! :smile:

Now it's up to the OP...

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

The dimension of position is meters [m]. The dimension of velocity is meters per second [m/s]. The dimension of acceleration is meters per second squared [m/s^2].

The dimensions of the lefthand side (LHS) and the RHS must match. Multiply and divide dimensions the same way you multiply and divide numbers. If you end up with [m]/[m], those units cancel. If you end up with [m/s]/[m], you cancel the [m] units in the numerator and denominator, and are left with units of 1/[seconds], which is the same as Hz (Hertz, which is the unit of frequency, 1/[seconds]).

Does that help? Can you now show us the dimensions for the LHS and RHS for each of the questions in your post? :smile:

So i just sub in units correct? Also two things, how can we assume d=x?
And the whole idea of why this works, what makes it so special if they are equal (rs=ls) in dimension value?

gneill said:
The idea is to replace each variable with its fundamental units and see if the resulting equation balances. Fundamental units include:
[L] = Length
[M] = Mass
[T] = Time

YEs thank you!

gneill said:
[L] = Length
[M] = Mass
[T] = Time

To clarify, this L, M, T notation (and likewise Q for charge etc.) represents dimensions. Fundamental units are the base set of standard units laid down for the different dimensions according to some convention. Thus in modern SI units (MKS), the metre is the fundamental unit of length dimension, etc.

The square bracket notation does not appear to be completely standardised. A common usage is to put square brackets around a variable to signify the dimension of the variable (not around the dimensions themselves). Thus one may write for a velocity variable v: [v]=LT-1

Related to Dimensional Analysis: Which Equations are Correct?

1. What is dimensional analysis and why is it important in science?

Dimensional analysis is a method used in science to convert between different units of measurement. It is important because it allows scientists to make accurate and precise measurements, which are crucial in conducting experiments and making calculations.

2. How is dimensional analysis applied in real-world scenarios?

Dimensional analysis is used in a variety of fields, such as chemistry, physics, and engineering. It can be applied to solve problems involving unit conversions, scaling relationships, and determining the accuracy of experimental data.

3. Can dimensional analysis be used to solve complex problems?

Yes, dimensional analysis can be used to solve complex problems by breaking them down into simpler units and then converting between them using conversion factors. This method helps to eliminate errors and provides a systematic approach to problem-solving.

4. What are the common units used in dimensional analysis?

The most commonly used units in dimensional analysis are the SI (International System of Units) units, such as meters, kilograms, seconds, and moles. However, other units, such as feet, pounds, and minutes, can also be used depending on the specific problem.

5. Are there any tips for mastering dimensional analysis for an exam?

Some tips for mastering dimensional analysis for an exam include understanding the basic principles, practicing with different types of problems, and memorizing common conversion factors. It is also helpful to break down complex problems into smaller steps and always double-check your units in the final answer.