Dimensional analysis to determine unknown exponents

In summary, the method of Dimensional Analysis was used to determine the unknown exponents in Equation (1), which were found to be l=-1/2, m=-1, and n=1/2. The dimensions for the terms in the equation were also determined, and a set of equations were formed to solve for the unknown exponents.
Vasili

Homework Statement

1. Use the method of Dimensional Analysis to show that the unknown exponents in Equation (1) are l=-1/2, m=-1, and n=1/2.

Homework Equations

Equation (1) is [tex]\lambda = k \mu ^{l} f ^{m} T^{n}[/tex]

Where:
[tex]\lambda[/tex] is the wavelength;
f is the frequency of the sound;
T is the tension in the string;
[tex]\mu[/tex] is the mass per unit length of the string.
k is a dimensionless constant.

The Attempt at a Solution

The dimensions for the above terms should be:
[tex]\lambda = [L][/tex] (Simple enough)
[tex]f=[L] ^{-1}[/tex] (Since the frequency is the inverse of time. Is this correct?)
[tex]T=[M][L][T] ^{-2}[/tex] (Since the tension in the rope is just the force exerted on it, right?)
[tex]\mu = [M][L] ^{-1}[/tex] (Since it is the mass per unit length)

Which gives the dimensional equation as:
[tex][L]=([M] \cdot [L]^{-1}) ^{l} \cdot ([T] ^{-1}) ^{m} \cdot ([M] \cdot [L] \cdot [T]^{-2})^{n}[/tex]

Which can be used to make equations for [L], [T], and [M], respectively:

1=-1l + 1n ([L]) (i)
0=-1m - 2n ([T]) (ii)
0=1l + 1n ([M]) (iii)

And from here I don't know where to go. If I manipulate (ii) to state n in terms of m, I get n=-1/2m. But where do I go from here? I need to solve these three equations simultaneously?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Oh, I got it. Sorry, I keep doing this with my posts here. XD

I would say that you are on the right track with your dimensional analysis approach to solving for the unknown exponents in Equation (1). Your initial step of determining the dimensions for each term is correct, and your dimensional equation is also correct.

To solve for the unknown exponents, you can use the equations you derived for [L], [T], and [M] and substitute them into your original dimensional equation. This will give you a system of three equations with three unknowns (l, m, and n). You can then solve this system using algebraic manipulation and substitution to find the values of l, m, and n.

Alternatively, you can use the relationships between the dimensions (i.e. [L] is equal to [M]^l [T]^n) to determine the values of the exponents. For example, from equation (iii), you can see that l=-n, which can then be substituted into equations (i) and (ii) to solve for m and n. This approach may be simpler and more straightforward.

Overall, your approach using dimensional analysis is a valid and effective method for solving for the unknown exponents in Equation (1). Keep up the good work!

Great job breaking down the dimensions for each term in the equation and setting up the dimensional equation. From here, you can solve the three equations simultaneously to find the values of l, m, and n. To do this, you can use substitution or elimination methods.

Using substitution, you can rearrange equation (iii) to solve for l in terms of n: l=-n. Then, substitute this into equation (i): -1=-(-n)+n. Simplifying, you get n=1/2.

Next, substitute this value of n into equation (iii) to solve for l: l=-1/2.

Finally, substitute these values of l and n into equation (ii) to solve for m: 0=-1m-2(1/2). Simplifying, you get m=-1.

Therefore, the unknown exponents in equation (1) are l=-1/2, m=-1, and n=1/2. Great job using dimensional analysis to determine these values!

Related to Dimensional analysis to determine unknown exponents

1. What is dimensional analysis?

Dimensional analysis is a mathematical method used to analyze and solve problems involving physical quantities with different units. It involves converting between units and using the principles of multiplication and division to determine relationships between different quantities.

2. How is dimensional analysis used to determine unknown exponents?

In dimensional analysis, exponents represent the dimensions of physical quantities. By setting up and solving equations based on the units of different quantities, we can determine the exponent values that relate them. This can help us understand the relationships between different physical quantities in a given system.

3. What are the benefits of using dimensional analysis to determine unknown exponents?

Dimensional analysis provides a systematic and reliable approach to solving problems involving physical quantities. It allows us to check the validity of equations and identify any missing or incorrect terms. It also helps us to understand the underlying principles and relationships between different quantities.

4. Can dimensional analysis be used to solve problems in any scientific field?

Yes, dimensional analysis is a universal method that can be applied to a wide range of scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, and engineering. It can also be used in economics, biology, and other areas where physical quantities are involved.

5. Are there any limitations to using dimensional analysis to determine unknown exponents?

While dimensional analysis is a powerful tool, it can only be used to solve problems involving linear relationships between physical quantities. It may not be applicable to non-linear or complex systems. Additionally, it relies on accurate and consistent units, so any errors or inconsistencies in units can affect the results.